Archinect
anchor

Architectural Association Interview

ganhorg

Hello Everyone,

Just received the confirmation for Interview for AA. I submitted my application right on the day of late application deadline and never expected having the interview this early..(Said on website it will be held in April to June) I am getting quite nervous now. 

I wonder if receiving an early interview a proof of appreciation (just to get myself some confidence).

And more importantly in the email it points out the tutor noted that I need to bring more architectural drawings and additional material which strengthens your design abilities. What do they prefer to see? Scaled drawings or sketches? Can I show them the work I done during intern?

Finally is normally asked in interview? Will it be more concentrated on the projects you showed in the sampled portfolio or the additional materials I bring to the interview?

Many thanks!

Feb 27, 18 7:08 am
TED

Which programme?

Feb 27, 18 10:27 am  · 
 · 
ganhorg

Thank you for your remind.

It‘s Intermediate School (Third Year).

Feb 27, 18 10:29 am  · 
 · 
ganhorg

Sorry It‘s Intermediate School (Third Year)

Feb 27, 18 10:29 am  · 
 · 
TED

Interviews go two ways - its an opportunity for the AA to tell you about the school and encourage you to take up their offer.  So be comfortable, don't worry. 

Will give some probable points I cover when interviewing students (I went to AA but am not involved in interviewing)

1. First may ask you to discuss one of your projects to get you to get comfortable with the interview.  So you might select your best project or last project and discuss the process aspects in detail - how you made decisions, how you took this experience to other aspects of your work, did you use video or models to explore you ideas? Do you have any drawings that demonstrate process or iterative design? Try to discuss your ideas, that support the designs - 
  2. Why do you want to attend the AA? talk about the internal aspects of the school and how London is a great lab for learning. You might look at detail one or two Units and tutors and describe your interest  in the context of their work and agendas.  AA integrates History, Media and Technology into their their studios so you might also look these areas of the school and see if you can connect your interest to subjects.
  3. Do you have any questions for us? Good interviews always give opportunities to ask questions - so have one or two prepared.  

Getting an interview in general is a good sign so don't worry.  

Feb 27, 18 10:49 am  · 
 · 
ganhorg

Hello TED

Thank you very much for your advice. It seems that AA's interview is more academic and formal than UCL, GSD or other American Universities which can do Skype Interviews. Additionally the architectural drawings they asked for can I bring the work from my previous Intern? Or it is better to be my school/personal work?

All the people I know who got interview from AA were accepted. It feels like getting an interview is indeed a good sign for being admitted lol.

Feb 27, 18 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Hi ganhorg, If your doing a face to face interview - take a printed portfolio of a number of your projects, academic and intern.  For your own projects bring drawing or photos of models that demonstrate how you evolved your ideas. So more than just the final project (building).  Might choose a project that has an urban component - or one more experimental.  

Do have a look at AA online at the different unit work.  The projects portfolios show 'process' in addition to final scheme.  

Agree with you - if you have an interview most likely accepted.  Its a great opportunity to see the school, facilities and perhaps take in an evening lecture.  Studios are for the most part are open door and extend in all the corners of the place not just the main building but in building adjacent and to the rear of the AA.  Sit in on a studio and get a sense of the energy of the place.  Its FAB!

Feb 27, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
ganhorg

Thank you very much TED!

Feb 27, 18 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Good luck! Report back on how it.goes.

Feb 27, 18 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
sheroektaha

Hello Ted,

Iam asking about when will I hear about my interview decision if Iam accept 

How long they take??

Feb 12, 21 6:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: