Archinect
anchor

I'm in a BSD Architecture program, is this the worst decision I have made?

lyssadiamond

Did I make the worst choice ever????! 

So I didn't have the GPA to try to get in Accredited Architecture programs in California so I decided to attend Arizona State College to pursue a BSD in Architecture. My other option was to go to Cal Poly Pomona for Urban Planning + M.Arch. I don't feel like I made the right choice now because Arizona State is not NCARB accredited, and I don't want to stay in Arizona to complete my M.Arch. (I will still get my M.Arch but in California) Is there a way to make my situation better?

Some background on me, I'm currently in my second year of my 4 year program. I am a part time student since I finished my GE. I am 24 years old. I attended community college took a year off school. Then transfered to Arizona State. I also have been a drafter in construction engineering since 2015. 

Feb 25, 18 11:26 am
joseffischer

Is your goal to become a licensed architect?  If so, you need to look up any exceptions that allow you licensure with your current route.  My general understanding is that you have to have a professional undergrad or an accredited masters degree to get licensed in all states.  Each state varies, but reciprocity becomes tricky later if you don't do it "by the book".  

Alternatively, if your goal is do architectural work, but you aren't concerned about licensure, then I would remind you that you'll be stuck to houses and small light commercial jobs, which may be fine for you.  At that point, I'm not sure if a degree matters at all, but if you feel like you need to be educated architecturally, then you'll have to weigh the pros and cons of your program at Arizona.

If your goal is to do anything else... then I'd suggest you switch majors.  Yes-men in the profession (especially in school) love to say how much an architectural degree can help you in other professions.  My experience is many other degrees are a lot more flexible.  Also, if you know what you want to do, a degree in the actual profession of choice makes the most sense.  24 is still young enough, so no worries there.

Feb 25, 18 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
ArchQuestion

Look for an accredited private school that offers a BArch. - there are several in California...Sci-Arc and Newschool to name a couple. Expensive but you can get student loans - plus schools like Newschool are geared for evening classes because they want you working in a firm and gaining experience during the day so you can have income while in school if $$ is an issue. 

Feb 25, 18 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Not so fast! Be very careful of taking out expensive and non-extinguishable student loans for an architecture degree. This is a very poorly paid and unreliable profession and you could easily ruin your financial life.

Feb 27, 18 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

Also funding opportunities are generally better for M.Arch programs. In most programs grants are higher, there are teaching assistantships and fellowships, and most grad students are considered independent for purposes of awarding federal and institutional financial aid (meaning parents' finances aren't part of the equation.) I had virtually no debt from grad school, but a significant amount from undergrad. Had I continued on to get the 5th year of a B.Arch I would have come out more in debt than I did by taking the 4-year non-professional degree and going on to an M.Arch.

Feb 27, 18 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
kjdt

I don't see why you view what you're currently doing as such a bad decision.  There's no such thing as an NCARB accredited school.  I assume you mean NAAB: they only accredit B.Arch and 1st professional M.Arch programs. A large percentage of M.Arch students come from non-professional, non-NAAB architecture-related bachelor programs, such as the one you're currently in.  

If your plan is to eventually do an M.Arch, there isn't really a shorter route for you at this point, and there's nothing wrong with the program you're in, in terms of pursuing an M.Arch.  Is it that you're unhappy with the program academically? Transferring to a B.Arch would be a possibility I suppose, but typically those programs don't admit transfers at higher than sophomore level, so you would be backtracking by about a year, and then since it's a 5-year program in the end you'd have spent almost as long as an undergrad as you would spend just finishing your current 4-year program and then doing an M.Arch (which would be 2.5 to 3.5 years, depending on the school.)

If your plan is to get licensed in CA you should also be aware that no degree is actually required there - you can work in firms and eventually be eligible via the experience route to take the exams.  However, that can limit you as to which states you can gain reciprocity in later.

Feb 27, 18 9:31 am  · 
1  · 
eastcoast

I probably don't know as much as others here but If you are already in the second year of your program I dont think I would restart by any means. You can just go back and get the M Arch in CA if you prefer. I was an undeclared major before transferring into a 4 year Bachelor of arts in architecture degree which requires the exact four years unlike many majors where you can take as many needed classes and graduate when you need to. This put me two years past when I should graduate plus the additional time for the M Arch which I am intending to pursue. I dont think changing anything now when be of the best benefit. Unless there is an equlivvent degree that you can receive in shorter time and then go on to get the M arch I would just stick it out at this point and focus on keeping your grades up while also creating some good things for your portfolio. Especially if you are already gaining experience in the field. Honestly half of what you learn in accredited undergrad isn't always relevant to the job world. 

Feb 27, 18 5:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: