Archinect
anchor

5536.1 Licensed in CA drafting for out-of-state architect

sddd

CA is clear on the statement that a licensed architect must affix a stamp to any drawing he/she authors regardless of whether it is for a project requiring a license with the following exception:

5536.1 "This section shall not apply to employees of persons licensed under this chapter while acting within the course of their employment."

Straightforward when in CA- my question is how CAB would view a licensed architect working as a contracted drafter (basically this is favor work helping out a peer) for an architect licensed in another state who will act in the "responsible charge" capacity. Would drafting without stamping in such a contracted hourly arrangement run afoul of "employees of persons licensed under this chapter" since the out-of-state architect does not fall under CA's BPC?

Feb 15, 18 7:46 pm
urbanity

why don't you ask CAB?

Feb 15, 18 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
sddd

I've fired off the same inquiry, but also wanted input from anyone who may have experienced a similar situation. An email from CAB would be helpful but not, I imagine, ironclad if challenged later. 

Feb 15, 18 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

A contracted drafter may not ever call himself a licensed architect - period, end stop. A contracted drafter may design exempt buildings. Otherwise all drawings must be produced under the responsible control of a Licensed Architect in CA in order for those drawings to be legally acceptable for non-exempt buildings.

Feb 15, 18 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: