To be an arichitect, which way will be the best for me??


To be an arichitect, which way will be the best for me???

I major in interior, studying at an art college in FL. I have always wanted to be an architect but decided to study Interior first because It would be nicer to know interior before start to jump into architecture. However, it seems that architectue pretty much covers most of interior....on this website, I have seen many negative comments about Interior design. I pretty much agree with some of that...

Actual plan I have thought is to graduate from my school first and apply to March program. So basically, It will takes 3years in udergaduate + 3years in graduate, so the total is 6years...As you guys may know, Art schools cost a is about 40k per year.  MONEY PROBLEM always! So, due to that, I am thinking to go to CC then tansfer to Barch school. It gonna be 5years...or longer. Which one looks better for you guys?!? I need some thoughts!           

Feb 7, 18 1:16 pm
Non Sequitur

Architecture > interior by a cubic light year.

Also, no degree is worth to go into so much debt.  Take the most efficient path and avoid unnecessary tuition. Apply and switch into an accredited B.Arch gig.  How your path looks is no-where as important as the work you produce.  Focus on that instead of the name on the paper.

Feb 7, 18 1:28 pm

Another option would be to transfer to a less expensive 4-year bachelor degree program - perhaps at a state college or more affordable liberal arts college.  Then apply for the M.Arch.  That route may waste less time in your case, and keep options the most flexible for you.  Let's say you finish your current year at your art school, then transfer at more or less sophomore-level to a general 4-year college curriculum, and then finish a 2.5-3.5 year M.Arch (exact length of that program depends on the school).  That would be a total of 6.5 to 7.5 years.

I don't see the point of transferring to a community college if your goal is to transfer to a B.Arch program.  You'd be better off applying directly to a school that has a B.Arch program - because most won't let transfers in at a point any higher than sophomore-level studios - so what would the community college route actually get you?  It seems like it would just add time.  Transferring from your current program to a B.Arch at this point will probably result in a total of 5 or 6 years counting your current year.

Feb 7, 18 1:37 pm

Speaking from many years of experience of both teaching and working with young people, don't attend architecture school unless you really understand what you are getting yourself into. Go work at a firm for a  year or two and see what's out there. This is no longer a prestigious, interesting or well paying profession, unless you have you own practice and do the work you are interested in doing, you are going to find working in the field very difficult. Most large firms today are assembly lines. There are large firms in my area whose interiors are indistinguishable from that of an accounting firm.

If you are interested in interiors, than do interiors, if you are interested in both, than do both. You have to take charge of your education. You may decide that a traditional education is going to be expensive and in the end not get you to where you want to be. The profession is about to change dramatically in the next 10 years. Several states want to do away with the current licensing scheme, and it is likely that your education may or may not be worth anything in a decade or so.

If you think you may want to run your own practice, go to business school. Learn marketing, learn accounting. You can learn architecture and design in many ways, don't assume that college is the best route.

Feb 8, 18 1:57 pm

The following states do not require any college courses in architecture to sit for the exam and become licensed. Varying years of experience is required. Hire on as a 'gofer' in a firm in one of these states and get started.

  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • New Hampshire
  • New York
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Vermont
  • Washington
  • Wisconsin
  • Feb 8, 18 4:01 pm

    apply directly to your states B.arch or undergrad architecture program from your school as a don't have to wait or go to a CC first. or finish out your degree and apply for an M.arch.

    Feb 8, 18 9:55 pm

    Block this user

    Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

    • ×Search in: