Archinect
anchor

M.Arch or MBA

AspiringArchitect

Hi,

I am a final year B. Arch student in India and currently in the process of doing my thesis. I have plans of doing Masters abroad but am confused with M.Arch or MBA. The idea is to do masters abroad and later work there. which would be a better option? 

thank you.

Feb 6, 18 1:56 am
randomised

What's there to be confused about between a master of business administration and a master of architecture?

Feb 6, 18 2:47 am  · 
 · 
hellion

If you plan to run your own firm, or you're more keen to the business side of architecture/running a firm, real estate, entrepreneurship etc. (something we're not taught in architecture school), then go for an MBA. Colleagues of mine who took the MBA route said it's also good for networking and expanding your professional circle (getting potential clients, etc.). You can also opt for an MSc in Management, Real Estate Development, Entrepreneurship in lieu of an MBA (because for MBA you have to take a GMAT).

If you plan to go into academe or research eventually, or basically go deeper and hardcore with architecture, then M.Arch. is the track for you. 

There's a program in IE Madrid that combines both. https://www.ie.edu/school-arch...

Feb 6, 18 3:45 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

MBA, because...

you know, the money.

Feb 6, 18 3:48 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

A business (or engineering or real estate or whatever) masters will give you a different field of knowledge about how the world works.  A masters in architecture is just more of the same thing.

Feb 6, 18 8:36 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Is this a real question? MBA.
Feb 6, 18 8:57 am  · 
 · 
eco_gen

Do the MBA and find a program that focuses on Real Estate. Pay special attention to how they deal with career placement after graduation, what the top companies are that hire from that school and what the alumni network is like. It is best to select a school that has the most amount of connections in the area that you want to work in after you get out and who has the best network. Look at the starting salary after graduation and how quickly they all land jobs after graduation/placement rates.

Feb 19, 18 3:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: