Archinect
anchor

Pursuing a master in sociology after a bachelors in architecture

Airdak

Hello,

I recently graduated from architecture department with a bachelors (In Istanbul). I am willing to do a master in sociology because I am very keen in the study of urbanism sociology. I would be very glad to hear from the ones amongs you who have chosen this path. Thank you in advance.

PS: I am sorry for my poor english, it is not my first language.

Feb 5, 18 12:04 pm
batman

i would just study urban planning/urban design and learn sociology on your own. Regardless of how rich you are, i think a degree in sociology is not as useful as a urban planning degree. Focus on urban planning/urban policy and then use sociology as an additive and not the other way around. 

Feb 5, 18 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Study whatever you feel like studying, I'd focus on that.

Feb 5, 18 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Airdak, enjoy your master's studies.  A background in architecture will give you a helpful understanding of space and the built environment that shapes society tremendously-- an understanding missing from sociology in general.  It will set you apart, in a good way.

I agree with others that this may prepare you well for an urban planning career, but study what you like next.

Also, I think your English is pretty good!

Feb 5, 18 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
mespellrong

I earned a masters in sociology before getting my architectural masters. Now I teach both. An undergrad degree in architecture will not prepare you for advanced study in sociology, particularly if urban sociology is your focus. You will need a year of calculus based statistics and lab work with SPSS or a similar package before you will be ready. 

Feb 7, 18 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: