Archinect
anchor

Post graduate Master or training course in order to enter some big studio

DPERU

Hi guys,

I am an italian young architect (26) working in Canada. I am tired of bad design and I would like to join a good firm that does neat architecture.

Do you know some short master, class course with apprenticeship in offices like OMA, Herzog&deMeuron, Jean Nouvel etc? I'd love to work in the Benelux or nordic Country.

I don 't care to not been paid, I want to learn.

Thanks to everyone

Davide

Feb 1, 18 3:07 pm
Non Sequitur

You should care about pay.  Unpaid interns have no respect or understanding of the value of their time.

There are plenty of good design firms in Canada and it does not take more schooling to get a gig in their offices.  Put together a portfolio and apply like a normal person.

I'm doubtful, but are you licensed? 

Feb 1, 18 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

To my knowledge, (please correct me if I'm wrong) a lot of the big starchitect names take MArch/BArch grads mostly from the ivies or universities with big international reputation.  There are a ton of great firms that aren't starchitects like OMA and HdM.  Look around and see what you like.  Put together a portfolio and apply.

And yeah, you should care about getting paid.

Feb 1, 18 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

OMA is worse than USN SEALs Bud/Udt training - every week is hell week 

Feb 1, 18 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
DPERU

He hehe I heard that a week there last 8 days. Have you been there?

Feb 1, 18 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
DPERU

Thank you all guys.

The fact is that unless here in Canada I am paid more than I could be everywhere else (guys I am from Italy which means is quite normal working for free when you are in your first work experience), I feel the lack on a design-driven environment. In Canada there are I think just a few real design driven Office (PATKAU, PARTISANS,GH3,SHIM SUTCLIFFE, JOHN TONG, SAUCIER PERROTTE,MICHAEL GREEN). All other firms are impressive from the organization point of view (design and construction in the same office is incredible) but still european offices have something more in terms of design knowledge and culture approach because they usually give to other offices the building phase of the project . Here in Canada I am learning how to build not how to project which is wonderful from some point of view but I am more interested in manifesto architecture rather than condo's architecture.

I have tried to knock on the doors of firms like those here but still seems that my visa is a problem or maybe my talent is not enough even if I thinks my portfolio is not bad. For this reason I thought a master could have helped me.

Thank you all guys your pieces of advice are very appreciated.

Feb 1, 18 5:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I don't think you're very well informed on the architecture world in Canada... and I've personally known a few of the partners/founders in the firms you list. Shared many beers with those at Partisans for example.  Maybe you just need to step out of Toronto and actually spend some time instead of just looking up to the obvious ones.

Tons of smaller firms do excellent work.  Maybe sort out your Visa issues and bulk up the portfolio.  A Masters will allow you to (eventually) write your exams and chase a license but it will not blow-open doors for you. You need to put in the effort and develop more than just pedestrian eye-candy images.

Feb 2, 18 8:22 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I'd never describe Nouvel's, HdeM's or OMA's work as "neat" myself. But you can come to the Netherlands, enroll at the Academy of Architecture and you'll be able to work 6 days a week at OMA/MVRDV etc. and 1 day at the Academy. Don't know of any short master classes if that's what you're after. You could also try looking into The Berlage.

Feb 2, 18 9:29 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Yes once money and physics get involved manifestos quickly become rather useless/inapplicable. All of a sudden there are real life pieces and parts to put together, actual people doing the putting together, you, architect trainee trying to figure out how to draw said pieces and parts, and being told by a client you need to not make the parts such that the cost is so high the project can't happen...the real world is quite a slap in the face isn't it?

You could always retreat to academia and make swirly stuff in grasshopper and photoshop, since you're unconcerned about money and all. Though most of them still get paid enough, despite their whining.

Still very unclear as to what 'neat' design is...I think a building that people use and that stands up and was built on time on budget is pretty neat. But I don't really enjoy manifestos and can't afford to not get paid.
Feb 2, 18 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Amen! This is what really annoyed me in school. It's cool to learn grasshopper and parametric design, but why not teach more about how to work with a client and designing within a budget?! I use more knowledge/skills that I gained through various part-time jobs in customer service (how to deal with difficult people) than I use my skills in watercolors or making gehry-esque crumpled paper grasshopper models.

Feb 2, 18 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: