Archinect
anchor

Questions to transfer from community college!!!

parks4875

I just want to know how many people out there have transferred to a 5-year or 4-year school from community college?

I am from South Korea and while I was in the military service, I figured out that I wanted to be an architect because I always have thought that architects are all multiplayers and well informed on many subjects. So, I believe architecture programs would make them to do study in various fields. That is why I decided to study architecture, and that it is perfectly right for me who are interested in many stuff.

I studied BA, interior design for a year in an art college in Florida, so I have about 24 credits which are not really helpful for transferring to an architecture school. For that reason, I am looking for a community college to transfer to one of architecture schools. (Cal Poly is my dream school for now because its philosophy has attracted me in many aspects. One of them is priming students to get ready for work well after graduation)

However, what worries me the most is that it is never guaranteed if all the credits I would take at community college are transferable. Maybe some liberal arts credits because each school has their own design courses, it is really hard to be accepted into some design courses I may take at community college. I do not want to waste my time anymore….

So, I want to see some cases of community college students who have transferred to the school; what year they got placed? I know it is up to schools but will be glad to hear from you guys.

Thank you for your time.

Jan 25, 18 12:40 am
mantaray
Wow RickB actually made some helpful comments!

I'll elaborate slightly: No matter what, when you do transfer, they'll make you take the full architecture studio sequence (10 courses or 5 years if it's a BArch). That's why RickB says you can't shave time off the eventual bachelors, only money for the "extra" liberal arts courses that round out the BArch at university. These are generally things like: basic freshman English/writing; world history; calculus; and statistics. Also basic Revit and Photoshop courses would be very helpful.

You should call the BOTH the architecture departments and the admissions departments at CalPoly, explain your situation, and ask them which courses you should take at CC that will best prepare you for admission to and a degree in arch from CalPoly specifically.

Otherwise, I agree with Rick. You should honestly just apply to the BArch program as soon as you can. CC to arch is not a path that will save you as much time/money as it can sometimes in other fields.
Jan 25, 18 6:55 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

broken clocks and all that

Jan 25, 18 10:11 am  · 
 · 
mantaray
Btw some colleges look favorably on folks that have completed military service so that might give you a boost towards admission acceptance. CalPoly, being a state school, is more likely to have an understanding of applicants from non-traditional backgrounds.

You have to be a full-time resident of CA for 3 years straight to get in-state tuition however, and it's super expensive without that.
Jan 25, 18 6:58 am  · 
 · 
Driko

community college will hold you back in programs like architecture & nursing. Every architecture school makes you take their studio's because fuck it they can. I went to CC then transferred to U of Arizona 5 year program and i started again as a freshman. General credits were applied but nothing architecture related. Then i transferred from U of Arizaon to U of Illinois and same thing happened. here we goin again with the damn studios. But they pitied me and let me pass through 1 semesters studio.

just avoid the field. save the money, keep designing, and the money you do save just travel and attend lectures around the world. This will give you a better insight of architectural theory than any class will. 

Form your current education around architecture and make a career out of that. People who practice architecture as a profession are generally very un happy. (Architecture school !== Architecture practice) Most people find the schooling to be very fun but when it comes to profession its all about making money otherwise your cut form the team. 

Jan 26, 18 5:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: