Archinect
anchor

anyone transferred to Barch from CC

parks4875

is there anyone transferred to Barch from CC?

Jan 23, 18 6:05 am
senjohnblutarsky

I know several who did.  Your classes from community college will likely count towards some of your basic requirements.  You'll still end up going the full 5 years of school.  In a way, it makes the years at community college a  bit of a waste.  But, you can focus more on your Arch classes and worry less about the core area stuff. 

Jan 23, 18 8:04 am  · 
 · 
parks4875

Thank you for the answer!! I knew that I have to start from 1st year if I transfer to. But the problem is as an international student to keep visa, we get to take 12 credits as minimum per semester....

Jan 23, 18 11:40 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I gave up on a BArch when they told me that literally none of my BS in engineering classes would transfer. I graduated with honors from a top-tier university, and the dinky local BArch school was going to make me start over, including English 1 and a foreign language. (I would liked to have learned a foreign language but it was not required at my university.) At the time I was writing for a national trade magazine and managing the design department at a design/build firm, so I said thanks anyway (actually my words were harsher). I could have gone directly into a master's program but there are none nearby, and remote programs were too expensive and time-consuming, since I had to work close to full time as well. Because of that, I have stuck to residential work, where a license is not required in my state, but I'll always regret not understanding the best path forward when I was still young and in a flexible position. 

While my story doesn't translate perfectly to your situation, I think the gist is to check carefully with a program advisor before getting too far down any paths, so you don't waste time and money. 

Jan 23, 18 11:03 am  · 
 · 
parks4875

Thank you, I got the advice!

Jan 23, 18 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Make sure your program will accept transfer credits from the community college and you should be fine.  It's a good way to knock-out non-architecture courses and let you focus on your architecture classes.

I was in a huge public college where the architecture courses were excellent and all the non-architecture classes were huge, poorly taught, and really hard to schedule because they filled up quickly.  People often ended up taking more than 5 years to graduate because of not being able to get into humanities and science classes required for graduation.

I arranged my life so I drove across town to the community college for things like art history, physics, and psychology.  It worked great.  Everything transferred and it was less expensive as well.  The classes were also smaller and better taught.

Jan 23, 18 11:41 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

i started at a cc where they had architectural technology coursework [aka drafting].

cc was a good way to take care of general requirements and is much more affordable option as well.

the architectural technology classes transferred as elective courses.

Jan 23, 18 11:48 am  · 
 · 
parks4875

Thank you for the answer!! could you tell me which CC you went to?

Jan 23, 18 11:58 am  · 
 · 
urbanity

check out east los angeles college or orange coast college in california

Jan 23, 18 5:45 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Know many people, saves money too. I know that in NJ at least, CC students in Arch can get advanced placement in NJIT's B.Arch.

Jan 23, 18 11:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: