Archinect
anchor

University master in parametric design

paolotamburini

Hello to everyone

Can someone give me information about any way to deepen computational matters applied to the design field?

I mean universities masters or useful courses rather than just forums and books.

I studied industrial design at university and now my will is to continue this path.

I’d like to seek new ways to design products using computational methods, so in this sense I want to learn the research approach that could be behind the design of a product.

First of all I’d like to know your opinion on which arguments I have to understand deeply to do this, and then I’d like to receive advices for some university master course you know that can be suitable for me.

I wish you can help me!! Thanks in advance!

Jan 21, 18 5:53 pm
randomised

They won't be new ways to design products though, it's been around for quite a while...

Jan 22, 18 3:36 am  · 
 · 
archinine
I saw something by autodesk, a new software where you push a button and the computer minimizes the mass/material required for modeled & designed products. There was this odd looking bicycle they had as an example.

Why waste a year and bundle of cash when you can just push a button?
Jan 22, 18 10:51 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Those computers are sooo smart.

Jan 22, 18 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
AdrianFGA

That's Project Dreamcatcher https://autodeskresearch.com/projects/dreamcatcher

Jan 23, 18 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I think you would be better off doing your Masters in Advanced Structural Engineering or sort.  Most university courses just touch the basics and like most masters, don't expect your professor to hand you everything.  You are responsible for research and coming up with your subject for the most part and with guidance of the professor.  

Jan 23, 18 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

Parametric/Computational Design was discussed here https://archinect.com/forum/th...

The study of parametric design works really well with digital fabrication and robotics. I did an AA Visiting School in Lima and we were taught how to use Rhino+Grasshopper (complex forms using algorithms, etc.) and be able to produce a prototype using laser cutters, CNC mills, 3d printers, robotic hands (KUKA), etc. Since you have an industrial design background, it can be definitely of use to you depending on what track or product you're going to make. Most Computational Design/Parametric Design master programmes I've researched on are geared more towards architecture/building, and if you're going for more industrial/product design, it'll be a waste of time for you. I'm not sure where you're from but you can opt to do courses  in parametric design offered by Fab Labs (fabrication laboratories). It's more general and focused on the tool or software use and the fabrication techniques. 

Jan 24, 18 6:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: