Archinect
anchor

Almost finishing architecture school. Final project is in 2 weeks.

andreeapescar

Hello there, I am new here. 

So, here's the story...(it will probably long, sorry for that). I am 27 years old and in my country, architecture is 6 years of study (they say it's master integrated, but we have a separate masters after those 6 years). And after finishing school, to get licence, you have to work full-time, under supervision of a licensed architect, for 2 years..and after that, you have to go to exam. 

Ok, so. I was always a top student before university, always had good grades and was very passionate with arts and drawing. I had a 9.83 out of maximum grade of 10 when I finished highschool, I went to national art olypmpics in high school, in the category of ambiental design and won 3rd prize. One of my paintings was accepted in an international competition (only 5 within my country were accepted) and I always had positive feedback from highscool teachers. I thought I liked architecture, I love technical drawing and drawing in general, was good with composition, but I always kind of loved art more. But, realistic me was thinking that architecture would probably be less risky choice than art and I chose architecture. I entered on 20th place out of 215 students (mostly because my lack of aptitude in math) and first 2 years in university were good, first year was actually great, didn't have a problem at all (which is atypical of first year students) and I think this was mostly because I had an art background.The teachers in the first 2 years gave me positive feedback. I always had good grades in art, graphic and composition classes. But I gradually started to be a bad student and by my 3rd year, there was an abrupt switch in which I started to skip classes and didn't submit my studio projects (for 2 years I didn't submit studio projects!) I went to a crisis and was angry all the time and I just realised how architecture profession really was. I started feeling sick to the stomach when I looked at buildings and thought I would get to design one of those. And I started procrastinating to the maximum, didn't do my work. (I always was a bit of a procrastinator, but always submited the projects before 3rd year) So, I failed one year, but by the time I got to 5th year, I started to gradually get myself together, but the grades were mediocre at best in studio. And here I am, almost 3 years later than normal, I have to submit just my final project. I already passed the first two phases of graduate project (the theoretical paper and the fundamental project) and I have to submit just the final phase. The problem is, the submition is in 2 weeks and I have 9*A1 to submit and I have procrastinated so much on this. I have not a songle A1 completed. Do you think it's possible for me to finish the project in 2 weeks?

The thing is, I always had a gut feeling that I don't really want to be an architect. I know that the 3rd year delay was probably because I didn't work hard enough. Sometimes I think I'm not smart enough to be an architect, but then why was I so successful before? But my failure was more than not working hard. I mean: Do you ever feel when you are working in a project, that this is a nightmare? Cause that's how I feel when I am working on projects, like I'm trapped in a nightmare and I feel depressed. I feel so much pressure, like the world is going to collapse or I am going o die if I don't submit my project. I had so many humiliating experiences by now because of failed projects, and angry parents...that I always have some kind of pavlovian negative emotional reaction when I start working on a project. A part of me thinks I should quit architecture, but a part of me has doubts, that's why I lingered so much on this. A part of me want to find another profession..

And there's the thing that I actually worked for 7 month in a small office and I liked working. I hated school, but I liked working in an office. I actually loved doing the menial stuff, or preparing documents or designing toilets (as some were saying). The thing is that my boss was responsible for the general outcome and talked to clients, I was a drafter and occassionally I could suggest design ideas. I didn't do major projects, but I did one small motel and the drafting and rendering for a house (fairly big one) and some other smaller projects. But I suppose things will be tougher when I will be in charge of every aspect of design. For now, I think I like having a boss. I guess I hate having total responsability and the pressure that comes with it. 

I'm so confused. I've been confused for years. Sorry for the long post, I don't really have anyone to talk to. I probably need to talk to a counselor. 

Do you think it's possible to finish 9*A1 project in 2 weeks? 

Jan 17, 18 12:25 pm
Volunteer

At this point your school would probably pass you if you spelled your name right on your project just to get you out of their hair.

For heaven's sake finish the damn thing and graduate.

Jan 17, 18 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Leafy1

^ Plug the kettle, get some coffee, and work hard as hell for 2 weeks. It's a very minimal sacrifice for what could possibly be one of the most important 2 weeks of your life. Make it count and finish your project with 100% effort, why waste the opportunity?

Jan 17, 18 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Just do your best to finish and then you can go back into art after.  It's going to bother you if you don't complete the program.  You can do it!

Jan 17, 18 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

This was exactly me in school.  I was mediocre at best; studio profs (and friends in my program) told me to go find a different profession because I clearly wasn't going to make it as an architect.  In studio, I would get to a certain point in the project and freeze up.  I couldn't decide how I wanted to proceed, which delayed my progress; I don't think I finished any project in time for my final crit.  Studio was so stressful to me that I started having panic attacks after every class because the workload was so much and everything was due so quickly.  When I started to look for a job, I was really nervous when I had to send over my portfolio, thinking 'oh if they see this, there is no possible way I'll be hired.'  But firms noticed things I didn't think were as relevant - I could draw, sketch, and 3D model. 

I hated school.  I did the best I could just to get through it.  But I love working in a firm.  I love the camaraderie of working with others on projects, I draft/model and produce drawings, but also oversee younger employees.  I like showing others how to do things I feel confident about, and learning from them as well.  I tell my story to say there is room for you in this profession if you want to be here.

Jan 17, 18 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
andreeapescar

Thank you, guys...I guess I have to do it and work hard. I will try my best and let's see... I guess I panicked (again) that I only have 2 weeks to finish. And when I panic badly, I procrastinate badly.(it was the ongoing cycle that prevented me from working and therefore delaying me in finishing school) 

Thanks, thatsthat...it's encouraging to know that I could have a place in an architecture office if I wanted to, even if I screwed up partially my education. The thing is, when I have a strict and rigid schedule such as when working in an office, I really find myself being much more productive and getting things done in a much more qualitative manner than school, rather than when left to my own device. Sometimes I even stayed over schedule, but to me it was so different and so much better psychologically working in an office. I prefer much more the structured program, and people respect you better when you are working (versus when you are a student). The teachers were so descouraging.(and I am quite the anxious, self-doubting personality) It's different when a client critiques your work because they don't have an expectation that you are the next Corbusier and they just state what they need/prefer in their project. I think I would be quite satisfied if I was a so called "CAD monkey". I mean, I absolutely hated the grandious manner in which they presented to us architecture - not to mention unrealistic. I actually prefer the realistic version of working in an office rather than striving to be a "star architect". And this is coming from a person that likes literature, philosophy and concepts. I think one of the problems of architecture is that it doesn't succeed in connecting with reality as well as it should. I really want to find some work that I can call my choice and I really want to produce qualitative work. I miss being good at something and therefore I find myself daydreaming about other professions in which I could have been good. Can I become still a fairly good architect if I messed up my education? 

Jan 17, 18 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
mariemfrikha

How did u do finally?? After 2 years?? Did u get a job??

May 6, 21 12:39 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: