Archinect
anchor

BCIN & M.Arch or RAIC Syllabus? (Advice for Canadian)

UltraViolet88

Hey everyone,

Kinda at a my-twenties-are-ending-and-i-should-solidify-my-career "crisis". I hold a bachelors of Architectural Science from Ryerson University (Architecture major) and have been working at a boutique residential firm for 5 years (BCIN). 

I guess I'm now toying with a thesis idea that's inspiring me to consider graduate school, but was wondering if people have done the RAIC Syllabus and what are their thoughts and experiences with it? I'm kinda reluctant to go back to school because it's a big time and money commitment, and I do not come from a background of affluence (blue collar immigrant parents). I was wondering if the cost and education of an architect via RAIC syllabus is just as competitive to a graduate education in terms of price, but also quality of work.

How do Architects in the Toronto market see RAIC syllabus students? Am I limiting myself to a few offices that want to take a chance on syllabus students as interns? Or would it be easier for me to go to different firms? I ask because when I came out of Ryerson a while back, it seemed like the offices I wanted to apply and work for were headed by were UofT professors that practiced Architecture.  

As for the BCIN, i've been doing some classes at George Brown online to keep my building code knowledge up and if I just want to design homes and small buildings w/o an Architecture License - I have that in the bag. Does anyone find the BCIN useful if you are committing to become a fully licensed architect? I'm doing it because I want to progress in my career and expand my knowledge, and I have a hunch it might be good to have in your pocket. I'm thinking it would be easier to build up a portfolio of built work before you set up your practice since it will take a while to go to school and finish the intern and exam program  as the Canadian licensing system for an Architect requires a graduate degree to be completed...and then you can officially register with a professional organization as an intern and only then you can log intern hours

Any input or thoughts? I've been reluctant to go back to school for my M.Arch. I had some trouble in undergrad...took a longer time, spent more tuition and just didn't have a thesis idea that was compelling enough to go back. But I know i'm a very different person today than say...the high school student freshly dropped into university. 

Jan 16, 18 8:57 pm
BulgarBlogger

Kinda at a my-twenties-are-ending-and-i-should-solidify-my-career "crisis"

One of the greatest lines ever...

If you have to ask some strangers online about this, you really are lost mate... 

Jan 16, 18 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
UltraViolet88

lol. I wouldn't put too much seriousness into that line. But in all seriousness, I do want to know if the Architecture-by-Apprentice program is definitely

Jan 17, 18 12:27 am  · 
 · 
UltraViolet88

worth considering in terms of cost and time, and how is it viewed in the Canadian...Toronto job market

Jan 17, 18 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
M.arch, without question. The RAIC is for folks without bachelor degrees and takes another 7+ years.

BCIN is good enough for single family housing and interior designers. Aim higher.
Jan 17, 18 7:10 am  · 
 · 
UltraViolet88

Thanks. @Non Sequitor

Jan 17, 18 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
UltraViolet88

I guess I am curious why the M.Arch is superior? Is this just a status thing to tack letters on the name. Or does one's work stands for itself as a designer?Personally I am iffy how in Canada you need a graduate degree to officially intern to gain your hours. Many of my Ryerson cohorts can sense some frustration working in the field and our work isn't counted towards intern hours because we didn't go for masters. Whereas I have friends in the states who are licensed and they just needed a B.Arch - Personally, as a POC and from a not so affluent background, I see this as a barrier to the profession based on socioeconomic standing. I mean if it is what it is, you kinda have to play the game.

Jan 17, 18 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

For one, consider what you want. Do you want to be a designer or a professional architect? It is true that your work and skills are what are important however, the ceiling is well defined if you stick to what's allowed under a BCIN. The scope creep is very significant.

Jan 17, 18 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

as for part two of your comment, please understand that the licensing process is now set that those who register hours do so while working as professionals (ie. post M.Arch). Too much abuse was present back when students could claim coop hours and junior level coffee goffer jobs for licensing. The amount of hours were lowered and the exams streamlined as a result and that is a very good thing. Weeds out the lazy and the squeaky wheels. As for your POC barrier, I call bullshit on that as that is not the case up here and certainly not an excuse. Truth is, want to be an architect, complete the required education (M.Arch or Syllabus) and take the ExACs. No short-cuts, no excuses.

Jan 17, 18 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Also, do not go M.arch at UofT.
Jan 17, 18 7:12 am  · 
 · 
UltraViolet88

As for the UofT...I have been at Ryerson but I feel like I didn't get a strong conceptual background from the old curriculum...which I can see influences my work at my office (I've worked for designers from UofT and Waterloo). If I can get funding, personally I would want a dual M.Arch with a landscape degree (UBC... especially if it's a thesis with food) or a M.Arch with a lighting design degree (Parsons) just so I don't feel like I am doing it all over again.

Jan 17, 18 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Focus on what's important. Want a conceptual M.Arch, pick carelton (or McGill). Don't bother with entering a 3y programme such as UBC. Besides that, the point of the M.Arch is to build competent professionals first, not teach basic design.

Jan 17, 18 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

You could do a part-time online M.arch @ a NAAB accredited school and become registered in Canada if you really didn't want to quit your job... But I am sure the online program quality would be lacking but if your only looking to satisfy license  req's that would work.

Jan 17, 18 10:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Yes, that are a few online M.arch from the US that are acceptable for Canadian licensing. I wonder what the cost is considering university is already significantly subsidized here.

Jan 17, 18 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

I am currently enrolled in the RAIC Syllabus program.  Fell free to contact me with any questions. 

Jan 17, 18 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

Non Sequitur is right about the 7+ years.  When you are enrolled in part 2 of the syllabus program you can apply to your provincial association and start earning those hours for accreditation.  You can also apply for advance credit in the theory classes through Athabasca University, and as of this year you can apply for advanced standings in the design studios given by the RAIC.

Jan 17, 18 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Indeed... I'm actually on the edge of stepping into the syllabubs mentor-ship programme. Nothing final yet, but I've been approached and am considering it.

Jan 17, 18 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip7

https://www.raic-syllabus.ca/p...

Jan 17, 18 4:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: