Archinect
anchor

recommendable masters degree for a bs architecture graduate?

ecefre

Hi guys! I'm a graduating student of BS Architecture in the Philippines and I'm looking for universities/colleges I can go to in the USA to take my Masters. However, I'm not quite sure yet what to take.

Is it weird that up until now, I haven't actually figured out what I want to do with my life? I've been taking up architecture for five years now but I know it's not really something I'm passionate about (my parents just forced me to take it up). My forte is kind of on the creative writing, literature, or journalism side but I'm not quite sure if I'd like to pursue that track considering that it's far from the alley of my undergrad course. 

Is there a masters degree you guys can recommend for me given my background? I was initially thinking if there's a masters degree for architectural writing or something.. but idk everything's just vague for me at the moment. 

Thanks!

Jan 14, 18 9:02 pm
randomised

Look up architectural writers and critics you like to read or admire and see what they did to get where they're at.

Jan 15, 18 3:13 am  · 
 · 
threadkilla

http://arch.uic.edu/MADCrit

Jan 15, 18 3:50 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

Is it weird that up until now, I haven't actually figured out what I want to do with my life?

Not really. What's weird is that you're looking for answers to these huge questions from strangers on the internet that know absolutely nothing about you beyond what you just posted.

Jan 15, 18 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Figure out what you want to do before spending loads of money on another degree. Try working for a while, in architecture or another field that interests you.
Jan 15, 18 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
razdaz

i'm amazed how people manage to get through an Architecture degree and not be into it. I think you are very lucky.

Have you seen the Critical Writing in Art & Design MA at the RCA? It will cost loads to study in London though!

Jan 18, 18 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
hellion

My forte is kind of on the creative writing, literature, or journalism side but I'm not quite sure if I'd like to pursue that track considering that it's far from the alley of my undergrad course. 

Is there a masters degree you guys can recommend for me given my background?

I suggest don't jump on the masters bandwagon yet until you've obtained some form of experience to at least qualify. Work experience is very crucial in applying for a masters program, let alone applying for one that's completely different from your background. Ask yourself: 

• Have you written for any publication in your university while you were a student? 
  • Did you ever joined the school publication? 
  • Have you had any published works? 
  • Why do you think, as someone with a background in architecture, getting into a masters program related to writing is relevant to your career direction?
  • Do you need to get into a masters program right away or can't you just submit your resume and sample work to local architecture/design publications that can help get your foot in the door?

There's so much to factor in but it's best to just start with getting work experience in whatever form it will come. And then allow those moments to help you figure out what is it that you want to truly do rather than dive into something at a time when, as you said it yourself, everything is vague at the moment. 

Jan 18, 18 6:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: