Archinect
anchor

Going to architecture school at 16 good idea?

I hope I'm ready. You guys can check my portfolio out in describe and help me thanks!

Jan 8, 18 2:11 pm
Non Sequitur

You're just 16, so I'll try and be nice(ish) but that portfolio layout is terrible.  Loose the background picture immediately. Kill it with fire and never go back.  

Second, find one or two good views of the sketch models and scale them up full size while cutting 90% of all text.  No one reads it, so focus on the graphics.

Third, architecture schools expect applicants to know nothing about design and buildings so don't expect to get in just because you can push a few buttons on the computer. That's the easy part.  Show your artistic flair with sketches and concept art in addition to 3D models. Show them you are comfortable with scale, shadows, various shapes, colours, etc.  Again, use clean and clear large images.

Jan 8, 18 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ILL TAKE IT!

Jan 8, 18 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I almost forgot, the image's resolutions are as bad as the layout and text.  

Jan 8, 18 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I can only speak for my own experiences, but the kids who had a lot of "architecture" in their portfolios didn't tend to get to accepted into the program. I think the idea is that if you are already decided on what architecture is at 16 then the staff doesn't want you. They want people with raw talent and curiosity that they can mold. Good luck.

Jan 8, 18 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Bingo. That was the policy at my undergrad school.

Jan 8, 18 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

My portfolio was all paintings, sketches, and sculptures/structures that I used to build for fun.

Jan 8, 18 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Same here Jla. I remember giving entrance interviews a while back and it was almost assured that if a highschool student's portfolio contained homework asignments, they would not get in. "I did this painting because my art teacher asked us to show..."

Jan 8, 18 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I had stuff from high school art class. I also took a song and turned it into a book and illustrated it with make-up and created a stylized font for it. I knew nothing about architecture.

Jan 8, 18 5:51 pm  · 
 · 

I do all this for fun thought non of it is assignments.

Jan 8, 18 7:20 pm  · 
 · 

I do all of this for fun. None of them are assignments.

Jan 8, 18 7:40 pm  · 
 · 

Hey Non Sequiter, what architecture school did you go to?

Jan 8, 18 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sean, I graduated almost 10-years from Waterloo (canada).

Jan 8, 18 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

no portfolio?

Jan 8, 18 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

click on the profile name.

Jan 8, 18 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Thanks! Yes, I agree with your comments, better images, less "architecture", less bla-bla....black backgrounds were an evil invention of some obscure graphic designer, white is better.

Jan 8, 18 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Wow I really appreciate your help us comment on the portfolio Rick astoria. Should I just make the wording more concise, relevant so that focus can be on the images? I'll make the background white. I'm sure you'll pass ncarb and get your liscensr just work for it

Jan 9, 18 10:21 am  · 
 · 

My dad is doing ncarb third time at like forty and he hates it but hopefully it pays off

Jan 9, 18 10:22 am  · 
 · 
kjdt

What do you mean by "doing NCARB"? Taking some part of the ARE for the third time? Finishing AXP/IDP? Trying to get through the BEA or BEFA process?

Jan 9, 18 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
TED

What Schools are you considering?

Jan 8, 18 4:44 pm  · 
 · 

SCAD, Kennesaw State

Jan 8, 18 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

KSU would be a heck of a lot cheaper than SCAD. If you’re entering as a freshman, KSU does not require a portfolio for admission. That comes later for admission to 3rd year.

Jan 8, 18 9:22 pm  · 
 · 

Yea I'm really looking at KSU because they have B.arch and the course is a mix of pratical with a bit of art flair. My dad told me to try for Georgia tech, do you have any advice on Georgia tech? I appreciate your help

Jan 8, 18 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
TED

I've always considered Georgia Tech a better school than SCAD. Also, as state school cost are much better. I think Georgia has an agreement with neighbouring states to offer 'instate' tuition to Georgia residents. Doing a 4+2 BA/MArch should be an option for you - will give you flexibility to change schools for the MArch so you might choose a Uni where you wish to practice/live in the future.

Jan 9, 18 8:38 am  · 
 · 

That sounds like a great idea. Do you know which neighboring states agree for instate tuition to Georgia residents? Is it like Auburn and south Carolina?

Jan 9, 18 10:02 am  · 
 · 
Steeplechase

I don’t really know anything about Tech. I’m guessing you probably qualify for HOPE, which would really help keep down costs at either KSU or Tech (at least for your undergrad).

Jan 9, 18 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Yes hope scholarship will do. I'm gonna apply for it

Jan 9, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 
TED

It looks like auburn (great school) and SC may be included - check the school web sites for details --

"The Southern Regional Education Board Academic Common Market provides tuition discounts for more than 1900 academic programs in Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia." https://www.nasfaa.org/State_Regional_Tuition_Exchanges

Jan 9, 18 11:00 am  · 
 · 
TED

Sorry - for Georgia residence only Clemson MArch gets instate - http://home.sreb.org/acm/SearchResult.aspx?state=GA

Jan 9, 18 11:27 am  · 
 · 

Okay thankyou guys for the advice. I'll change the background white, and put more images of my art sketchbook and work.

Jan 8, 18 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Don't be put off by some comments on Archinect - lots of bitter old [wo]men here who are stuck in a groove, often jealous at a bit of creativity! Great job so far - keep it up.

Jan 9, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't remember what I was doing at 16 but it sure as hell wasn't preparing a portfolio for architecture school.

Jan 9, 18 1:40 am  · 
 · 
TED

:-)

Jan 9, 18 8:40 am  · 
 · 

Oh haha

Jan 9, 18 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I... actually was. I had to submit physical works (not pictures or scans).

Jan 11, 18 8:46 am  · 
 · 

Damn so like cooper union

Jan 11, 18 9:09 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

if cooper demands you submit the original drawings and paintings... then yes, just like that.

Jan 11, 18 9:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: