Archinect
anchor

Your Experience

fellfosho

Hello! My name is Fellya and I'm the second year of architecture student. In here, I wanna know all about your experience from when you take your education till you work as an architect. I hope whoever you are wanna share with me, because I wanna know all of you and be a good companion. 

Thankyou and have a nice day! :)

Jan 1, 18 1:27 pm
randomised

I graduated, travelled, worked, studied some more, travelled some more, worked some more, graduated some more, worked some more and travelled in between.

Jan 2, 18 5:15 am  · 
 · 
fellfosho

do you ever feel depressed or wanna give up on this architecture before? btw thanks for your attention!

Jan 4, 18 8:19 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

awesome fallow up question.

Jan 8, 18 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I never feel depressed because of architecture, I could only feel depressed because of a lack of architecture. And sure I sometimes want to give it all up and work in a totally unrelated field, construction or something. It's like with the people you care about most can also disappoint you the most. Every year around the announcement of the Pritzker I just get like that, must be something seasonal...

Jan 9, 18 1:27 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Love, hate, repeat.

Jan 2, 18 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
fellfosho

what do you hate from it? hahaha, btw thanks for your attention!

Jan 4, 18 8:20 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I don't like drafting all that much, don't do much of it anymore. Don't like the ego maniacs and people who take themselves way too seriously.

Jan 8, 18 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

And the way buildings are made with unintelligent developers and sloppy tradespeople and all the finger pointing and intimidating is broken and unpleasant. It's unprofessional, yelling and name-calling and such.

Jan 8, 18 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What I mean is, buildings are so amazing, I love them. But the process of making them is really annoying and a lot of responsibility.

Jan 8, 18 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

worked part time during undergrad while keeping up for the 80hour studio weeks and A level average.  Traveled.  Graduated from the top school in my country (canada). Found employment immediately during recession. traveled. Licensed 3 years post graduation. got married. bought house. have child. now I'm a sorcerer.

Jan 2, 18 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
fellfosho

what a nice experience! so, do you ever feel desperate or like wanna give up on this architecture? and what's make you can survive from it? btw thanks fo your attention!

Jan 4, 18 8:22 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Desperate? no... too many people still hang on to the illusion that they are special creative snowflakes and complain constantly. Not this guy and I can confidently point to my city's skyline and say with pride that I've had a hand in shaping it.

Jan 4, 18 9:35 am  · 
 · 
fellfosho

wahhh, that's good! i wish i can learn more from you hahaha

Jan 5, 18 11:51 am  · 
 · 

just dont become a developer lol

Jan 8, 18 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I was fortunate to attend a co-op program in undergrad where I was able to complete 5 internships with 4 different firms including two in China. One of the 4 is the same firm I work for today, years later. 

In undergrad, I didn’t really “get” architecture. My grades were meh, but I did love professional practice. So my internships went really well. 

Grad school is where I gained a better understanding of “architecture” in academia. I had good grades and interned again in the summer. Never take a summer off, always work. 

Been out of grad school and with the same firm for 5 and a half years. Have been fortunate to work in 3 offices including a year in Singapore and I’ll join my 4th office in the Bay Area later this year. 

No firm is perfect and I feel like people go through growing pains after school. Practice and academia couldn’t be more different. You have to find what you like and get good at it. If you don’t like BIM then learn how buildings go together in the real world. If you’re extremely proficient in 3D and you love living in the  digital world then kick ass and be the best technical architect you can be. If you’re social and can sell then get into business development. If architecture isn’t for you, take the skills you learned and do something else. 

Travel as much as you can and always say yes to opportunity.  

Jan 9, 18 12:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: