Archinect
anchor

Are cover letters necessary to grad school apps?

SydSat

I'm getting ready to apply to several M.Arch programs and one thing I'm still unclear on is the necessity of cover letters, especially if the submission is entirely digital and the points that would be covered in the letter (e.g. I'm awesome, your school is awesome, here's why we would benefit each other, etc.) are already covered in the required statement of intent. Usually we all know it's about portfolio, portfolio, portfolio, but it's also important to show you've done your research.

Dec 23, 17 1:30 am
placebeyondthesplines_

it's also important to show you've done your research

a good place to start would be every single school website’s precise checklist of application requirements 

Dec 23, 17 2:11 am  · 
 · 
SydSat

Sassy much? I should specify that no, they don't specifically ask for one, but some third parties have recommended it anyway.

Dec 23, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

those third parties are dumb. these schools are getting hundreds of applications; they don't want applicants sending extra bullshit that no one asked for and no one wants to read

Dec 23, 17 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
SydSat

Glad to hear another opinion, thanks.

Dec 24, 17 9:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: