Archinect
anchor

Laptop Recommendations for 3Ds Max and Vray use

khadijsaid

Hi Guys,

so i bought this Gaming laptop HP omen  17T with specs I7 7700 HQ , 16GB of RAM and  NVIDIA GTX 1070 of 8GB but the problem is it's not doing so well with 3Ds MAX 2017 + Vray

i'm thinking of returning it and get something else, should i do it ?? and if so what do you guys recommend ?

Dec 15, 17 11:15 pm
Non Sequitur
Glue two macbook pros together and call it a day.
Dec 16, 17 1:00 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Religion is knock off by default.

Dec 16, 17 3:09 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I wouldn't go for a laptop if making fancy V-ray renderings is what you're after.

Dec 16, 17 3:21 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

When you say “not doing so well” what do you mean?? Vray renderings can take forever and still look like garbage if you don’t know what you are doing.  I dont see anything wrong inherently with the specs. 

Dec 16, 17 8:06 am  · 
 · 
No-thing

Yeah I'm curious to know what aspect is the comp not doing well in.  Those specs look really good, not gonna get much better for a laptop.  Maybe the screen hz can be improved, sometimes you can have the greatest graphics card but if your screen can't handle it then it's pretty much useless.  I think that might just be a visual thing though not a power house thing, which your laptop's specs are decent in.

Dec 16, 17 9:40 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

The specs are fine. Gaming laptops are generally top-notched tools for architectural softwares.

So I'd delve deeper into the "why" isn't it doing well with your workflow/results.

Dec 22, 17 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

It makes zero sense to go with a laptop these days when you can run an 1800x octa-core system with a 1070 ti and rip through v-ray and maxwell renderings.

Not even that HP Omen will compare to what a basic Ryzen system does.

Dec 22, 17 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
dgoakill

Laptops are not great for high end realistic visualizations. Vray works in two ways. either you use RT for real time in which case you  need a graphics card with as many CUDA cores as you can afford or if doing a calculated render you need to fill it with as many CPU's and the fastest CPU's you can afford. basically, duel Xeon processors. which is why laptops won't really cut it as very few can handle xeons let alone two and even the ones that do need so much cooling that the laptop is a heavy beast that defeats the purpose of having it for mobility. 

as for graphics cards, gaming rigs are built for refresh rates and frame rates and do this by sacrificing color accuracy. MAX runs on direct X technology and autocad is Open-GL these are different so buy a card that works best with what you do most. 

Feb 26, 18 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: