Archinect
anchor

Le Corbusier's sources of inspiration for La Tourette monastery ?

sub.ject

Hey guys !

A lot of architects have used Le Corbusier's La Tourette monastery as a precedent for their design strategies. However, I was wondering what Le Corbusier's sources of inspiration would have been for his conception of the La Tourette monastery in Eveux, Lyon.

I know that his design was influenced by elements from Le Thorenet Abbey in Provence,The Dionysiou Monastery at Mount Athos & also Piet Mondrian's paintings to an extent.

I was wondering whether the good folks here would know if Corbusier's design for La Tourette was influenced by any other art movements / artists / architecture projects apart from the ones mentioned above.

Nov 2, 17 7:41 pm
chigurh

cubism, tabula rasa, international style, a machine for living and slight notes of the parthenon

Nov 2, 17 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
sub.ject

Aren't these just generic influences for Le Corbs work ?
I was looking for something which directly influenced the conception of La Tourette.

Nov 5, 17 7:13 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Giles was a direct influence, you know, Giles de la Tourette.

Nov 5, 17 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Corb was also into slurpees and nerds - sometimes even adding both flavors of nerds to the suicide slurpee. A man before his time.

Nov 6, 17 11:22 am  · 
 · 
sub.ject

what a rebel !

Nov 8, 17 10:32 am  · 
 · 
randomised

When is the homework due?

The main influences for Le Corbusier were of course his contemporaries from Canada like Frank Owen Gehry, see Walt Disney Concert Hall or the work of writer Margaret Atwood, see Handmaid's Tale.

Nov 3, 17 12:50 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Or was that for Ronchamp? I don't remember...

Nov 3, 17 2:49 am  · 
 · 
sub.ject

Yeah, i don't think those are the La Tourette references.

Nov 5, 17 7:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Are you sure?

Nov 5, 17 10:22 am  · 
 · 
sub.ject

i think so...

· 
Volunteer

?

Nov 5, 17 7:40 am  · 
 · 
sub.ject

Fantastic,  this works !

Nov 5, 17 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

good luck on your homework assignment .

Nov 5, 17 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
sub.ject

thanks for the help !

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: