Archinect
anchor

Canadian School Dilemma

good details

Curious to hear other's opinions on my current dilemma (especially working Canadians).

Background: Bachelor of Environmental Design from UBC. Graduated in 2012. Wanting to pursue my Masters.

Applied as a transfer student for Dalhousie as I love the sound of their program. The focus on building is extremely appealing and now that I know what skills are needed in the profession I think itd provide the basis for a useful education. The deadline was Oct. 1st and I just received notice that I was accepted, but am to start at the beginning of their bachelor of environmental design course. This puts me at 2 years for completing their BEDS course and then 2 years for their masters. I was hoping to be placed in their last year of the BEDS program. 4 years is quite a bit of time and it's frustrating redoing another environmental design program in its entirety considering I've already got the degree (albeit from a different school with what is probably quite a different curriculum). On the flip side, those 4 years are broken up by a 12 and then a 24 week work term.

I was also planning to apply to UBC and UofT Masters programs...but the lack of work terms and only slightly shorter length of time (3.5 years vs the 4 at Dal) leave me wondering if I should go for Dal despite not getting the advanced placement I was hoping for. It is by far the most appealing program.

Thoughts anyone?

Oct 24, 17 10:35 pm
Non Sequitur

One extra year is nothing and Dal's programs is much better than UBC's bachelor.  I'm honestly surprised they did not ask you to restart from the beginning. Take it and be happy you've moved on to a better program and for fuck's sake, don't downgrade to UofT when it comes time for a M.Arch.

Oct 24, 17 11:03 pm  · 
 · 
good details

They did ask me to restart from the beginning

Oct 24, 17 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
good details

Oops, replied too soon.

Oct 24, 17 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
good details

They asked me to restart from the beginning, hence the two years of BENDs and then the 2 years of M.Arch. Cheers for the thoughts! Dal's program excites me much more than all other Canadian options.

Oct 24, 17 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I thought Dal was a 3+2 deal. Oh well. Don't sweat the extra year.

Oct 24, 17 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

I graduated from UBC many years ago and won't get into a debate about "best / better" schools. It is a fluid situation and changes all the time with change of profs /  associate professionals and program changes.  I will say that getting work terms / co-ops / summer jobs is essential to develop good skills and learn how the profession works. Whether it's through a co-op program or real work experience it's my recommendation to ensure one needs to understand how to function and design in the real world. Just my opinion. No profs I ever had were exception or god like but many were very helpful and stirred my interest in the profession but pretty much all those associate professionals who were brought in to teach the odd studio session or came to critique were awesome.

ie John and Patricia Patkau were/are top notch and provided the school with the a great opportunity to see how the very best perform as design professionals.

Oct 25, 17 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
good details

Had Patricia Patkau on the crit panel during my undergrad. Was awesome having her sharing her thoughts!

Oct 26, 17 7:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: