Archinect
anchor

Regret Not Doing Architecture for Undergrad - Should I Do a M. Arch 1?

LianneSn

Dear all,

I am posting in this forum in hopes to get some advice from practicing architects, designers and fellow career changers. 

About 4 years ago, I have chosen to give up my acceptance into architectural school and instead pursue a bachelor of General Management (Commerce). After graduation, I landed a job in digital marketing. Both during my undergrad and on my marketing job, I regret not having taken the risk for architecture. 

The reasons why I did not go for architecture at the beginning was due the bad economy, bad cost/benefit analysis of the profession, and reading about countless architects complaining their jobs did scare me. 

These same fears still remain today, however, overtime, I grew a greater understanding of the architecture career. Here is what seduces me about architecture:

• The impacts of architecture/ interior spaces impacts everyday living experiences
  • Being inspired by 'starchitects' and their work (e.g. Kengo Kuma, Bjarke Ingels)
  • I'm very interested in renovating already built places (breaking down walls and reconstructing) - and the challenges that comes with designing sustainable, ergonomic interior spaces
  • Both the aesthetic + technical problem solving component of the job
  • Finally, as cheesy as it seems, I am seduced by the 'nobleness' of the profession and the title 

For sure, I am not attracted to the consumerism culture that characterizes the marketing world (e.g. marketing new lines of beauty products every month to ignorant consumers), which is why I am concerned whether I will feel fulfilled in other design related paths (such as graphic design, industrial design, product design, UX design...). 

Although other design careers, notably web design, have better career prospectives, good cost/benefit analysis, the 'sociological' impact and importance they have compared to architecture is negligent (at least from my knowledge). Also, one hobbit of mine is sculpture, which makes me think I prefer design that can come to life instead of design that stays on the computer...

So my question would be... Am I pursuing architecture for the right reasons? Are my conceptions about other design fields wrong? Do you think it is a good idea that I still do a 3-year M.Arch 1, and if anything, transfer to industrial design/ web design, if the career prospects are bad in the building world?

Oct 1, 17 10:42 pm
randomised

What about first trying to get a job at an architecture office with your commerce / marketing background, there are plenty PR or business development positions available, just to see if your preconceptions about architecture are correct?

Oct 2, 17 4:32 am  · 
 · 
geezertect

I am not attracted to the consumerism culture that characterizes the marketing world

And you don't think consumer culture has bled into the world of architecture?  It permeates ALL aspects of modern life.  Clients aren't building buildings to make the world a better place.  They are doing it to make money.

Whatever you do, don't go deeply into debt.  Please.

Oct 2, 17 7:15 am  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Try out some work at an architecture firm.  You can work at a firm without being an architect - try something in marketing or being a business manager.  Or take a CAD drafting class and see if there are any beginning draftsman jobs.  See what it's like for the architects there and get some perspective on the schedule, types of work, etc., It's very easy to idealize this profession, but the nuts and bolts of it (no pun intended) and the realities of firm life can chase away some really talented people.

I second geezertect.  Really take a look at typical salaries/starting salaries and cost of education.  Do the math.  Consider your financial realities (if you have a family to support or don't, if you have other debt, if you have some savings you can rely on, etc.,) and what makes sense for you.  It's really hard to get an architecture scholarship for an MArch and TA-ships only cover so much especially for a major like architecture where you're not just paying for books and tuition.  There is a ton of cost for printing, supplies, laser printing, and other.  If you look at the numbers and you are passionate, definitely go for it!  Just be realistic about what you'll be doing in the profession and what you can/can't afford.

Oct 2, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Same as above posts, work in an architect's office or two before you go back to school and take some courses on architecture and design software.  You need to get a sense of what the majority of architects do all day.  

Oct 2, 17 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
LianneSn

Thanks guys! I will be working on my application for M.Arch, on on the meantime before enrolment (If I get accepted), I'll do what you suggest. How likely do you think an architectural firm hire someone who only has basic drafting/CAD skills and no formal architecture training? I have also been using sketchup for a month or so and wonder if this skill set alone can at least give me opportunities as an (unpaid) intern?

Oct 2, 17 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Never take an unpaid intership.

Oct 2, 17 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Agreed. Never take an unpaid internship. If you're unsure why, look through this forum for threads about pay.

Oct 2, 17 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
thatsthat

Also just depends on the company and how much time/energy/interest their leadership has in teaching someone with little to no knowledge. Sometimes my firm hires people with basic CAD skills as long as they can also contribute in other ways. For instance helping update the website, help out with marketing, filing, etc.

Oct 2, 17 1:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: