Archinect
anchor

Critique for M.Arch I portfolio

archKash

https://issuu.com/aidenkashi/d...

Ok, so I am a jerk because I never reply to threads and this community has been so helpful to me. Hopefully that will change once Im accepted somewhere. 

But I have a kind of rough portfolio here. I wrote notes on what I know is missing, but I want to make sure that Im not overlooking anything. It is already October and so deadlines are coming up. I think I will try to add some more non-digital artworks.. but I may be up against the clock. 

These are all solo/personal projects. I have no experience in architecture except for a minor and the Intro to M.Arch I program. 

Thanks guys!

Oct 1, 17 4:17 pm
randomised

If you deliver it in person playing on your Flamenco guitar you're all set.

Oct 2, 17 4:23 am  · 
 · 
archKash

haha.. not a good idea to put in? I thought it was personal or something.

Oct 2, 17 9:43 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I would rather call it an interest than list it along architectural softwares haha. Same goes for photography actually...but do keep them in, it sets you apart (the flamenco guitar, everybody takes photographs...it's like reading, that's also not really a skill that sets you apart unless you speedread or something, do you?)

Oct 2, 17 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
I've seen this on here before. I was then and am now still confused with this app project...what will help that and all of your projects is to print out a physical copy with a gutter at the spine. On a computer it's easy to want to make things full bleed full spread but most will view this in book format - I believe Columbia still requires a physical copy. The images don't need to be full spread and will get destroyed by that spine if they are. If you must have giant images of work that isn't very detailed...which you shouldn't...rotate to a horizontal format of 8.5x11. You may consider horizontal anyway as most of your images are landscape. I actually like the portrait style with two images per page- this doesn't draw attention to the fact that these projects aren't very fleshed out. It's fine that they aren't btw as you're applying to an M.Arch I. You need to cut cut cut the number of images and pages per project. The number of projects is good but there's too many pages. Take only the best photos and scale some things down.

For instance that giant circle elevation that takes up a full spread provides zero details about the project and isn't particularly interesting to look at. The white space in it is quite unnecessary as well. Crop that thing if you must keep it, and pair it with several other images on one page without bleeding images across the spine. Cut the whole thing down to 20 pages. As you continue along in this field you will have to accept that not every image can nor should be shown despite however much time and agony you may have put into it. The portfolio is a curated snapshot not an anthology.

You don't need a chapter guide it's not a novel. Don't waste space on that. Remove the guitar skill it is irrelevant. The resume format is cluttered looking with the horizontal blurbs across the whole spread. Again print this out and view it like a book the way it will be seen. One portrait is too many for the US, two is obnoxious- again if you must include this, choose one.
Oct 2, 17 11:37 am  · 
 · 
archKash

Great advise! Thanks

Oct 3, 17 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

*advice

Oct 3, 17 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Way too much filler.

Get rid of the blank & intro pages and trim it down to 10 pages max. Toss that smoke alarm app rip-off project to the very back if you must keep it... and stop writing short stories for all the pages. Do one spread per project,

Oct 2, 17 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

How is it a rip-off? just curious

Oct 2, 17 6:22 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

There is a whole row of similar looking and similar functioning devices in my local home improvement store... plus there is too heavy of a woo factor involved to be taken seriously, specially as a first project. It's a demo of graphic skills more than functional design IMO.

Oct 3, 17 9:09 am  · 
 · 
archKash

but I'm applying to m.arch I programs with no design background

Oct 3, 17 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

not one, but two headshots! why the fuck do people do this

Oct 5, 17 10:56 am  · 
 · 
archKash

Getting this message loud and clear... but why? Doesn't it add a personal touch?

Oct 6, 17 1:50 am  · 
 · 
archKash

this thread has been the first time hearing about this 'no headshots'

Oct 6, 17 1:51 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

it speaks to a very particular kind of gross self-indulgence (the portfolio is about the work, not the not-yet-a-designer's narcissism; this is not your fucking instagram). it adds absolutely nothing to the portfolio, and if you've seen 'successful portfolios' with headshots, they were 'successful' because the work was much stronger than the shit you have in yours.

Oct 6, 17 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

Fair. Im making a lot of adjustments. Ill add a new link right here and you'll have to tell me exactly makes it shit so I can improve. Thanks.

Oct 6, 17 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

No headshots. No "PORTFOLIO" in the largest font possible on your cover. 

Oct 5, 17 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
archKash

Ill take this advice, but why no headshots? First time hearing about this and I've seen plenty of headshots in successful portfolios.

Oct 6, 17 10:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: