Archinect
anchor

M.Arch schools with strong focus on sustainability?

dzkluu

Hello All,

Just curious about different M.Arch schools and wondering which of them have a good sustainable design/ architecture emphasis. I'm assuming Berkeley and MIT?

Sep 17, 17 7:34 pm
randomised

All of them?

Sep 18, 17 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

do your own research?

Sep 18, 17 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

None of the ones you suggested that's for sure.

Sep 18, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks_619

actually you are right about Berkley. Yes they have major focus on sustainability along with Oregon I believe and Parsons in east coast that I know off. 

I don't get why people have to be rude in this forum.... when someone is asking a simple question.

Good luck

Sep 18, 17 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Because they are often lazy questions which should require some initial effort from the asker beforehand, that's just common courtesy, not putting in that effort and trying to leach off others' time and efforts...THAT is rude in my book.

Sep 19, 17 5:00 am  · 
 · 
whistler

wouldn't you consider good design to also consider a highly sustainable approach.

I.E. never hear Foster, Renzo Piano, John Patkau etc talk about LEED / Built Green / Sustainable attributes etc. but I consider their designs well resolved and often include very sustainable strategies. I appreciate that they aren't checklist designers.

Sep 20, 17 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
ecnal

Really, who cares about sustainability in architecture. Perhaps your future clients if they are looking to soothe their white guilt a little (but not enough to build say, a smaller house).

Or perhaps the PR department of your future firm who are looking for a marketing edge.

Otherwise, no-one cares beyond lip service.

Sep 20, 17 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Plenty of people care about it, I for one care about it a great deal in my work and outside of work.

Sep 21, 17 2:19 am  · 
 · 
aki33

What about Columbia University Architecture School?

Seems like a good choice considering the global character of architecture and architectural education today.

Also Andraos' ecological approach is to be supported. My main issue with
Andraos and a lot of architectural thought coming out of NYC is that it
is so deeply caught up in the global "corporate" architectural system of
our day that there is no way they can make serious critiques of the
underlying dynamics that would result in an ethically sound "ecological"
or "sustainable" architecture. The current global crisis around
critical issues in the environment and urbanism requires a much more
profound approach to architecture and philosophy then is possible using
this kind of narrow view of ecology. What I am arguing for is an
ecosophy in architecture around the ideas organized by Felix Guattari in
his book "Three Ecologies" (on which I am to write my paper) where he outlines the scope of a broader ecology thinking..

Sep 21, 17 7:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: