Archinect
anchor

Questions from an Architecture student (BA Arch. Studies)

dzkluu

I'm more interested in becoming a college professor in Architecture or Fine Art, than to stay in the profession. But I feel that it makes sense that a professor already should have some experience in the "real world". Can you be a professor with just a Masters and not with professional experience?

I'm currently doing a B.A. in Architectural Studies at UCLA. (therefore on the 4+3 Track). This is because the Architectural Studies major has only three studio classes in total, the rest are historical/ critical theory classes, and three "technology" courses.

I'm under the impression that M.Arch schools want applicants with more studio experience. Is this true?

If so, to make up for my major's lack of studios, I wondered if it'd be a smart move to take more of those "Introduction to Architecture" summer programs like Making+Meaning at Sci-Arc or Career Discovery at GSD.

(This summer, I just did the program at my school called "Jump-Start". So with this, would it be overkill if I do a second program or maybe even a third for the next summers?)

If not, Should I just consider something else? If so what?

(Entry level construction job? Internship at some firm? Volunteer at Habitat for Humanity?)

Sep 17, 17 11:24 am
archinine
Unfortunately schools are rife with professors who have only a masters and zero to very little professional experience. In fact it seems to be more common than teachers with substantial professional experience.
Sep 17, 17 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Funny how you say professors have no professional experience, what about their job

Sep 17, 17 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

As if being an educator and a scholar is not professional

Sep 17, 17 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
dzkluu

That's my fault, I meant experience in the profession. Bad wording

Sep 17, 17 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Nah..I know what was meant, just find it strange how some frown on academia, as if it is all make believe and pretend or something. While it's these paper concepts and theories that form the foundations of what is being designed and built "in the profession" eventually. It's often the people who don't yet know how to put buildings together that come up with something fresh, new and interesting through their playful naiveté that forces others to step up their game and innovate. As if you need to build or have built in order to be a real architect, that's just bollocks.

Sep 18, 17 2:54 am  · 
 · 
dsarchs

Academic and practicing architects have different experience and goals. You're absolutely right that academics and/or less experienced people come up with fresh and innovative ideas but I suspect that it's the practical architects who will expand on those ideas to make them more effective (in terms of water-proofing, durability, ease of construction, etc.) and efficient.

Oct 19, 17 2:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: