Archinect
anchor

Missing first two weeks of my MArch

sgmardini

Hey everyone! I'll just get to the point ... I'll be hopefully attending Glasgow School of Art around the beginning of October for my MArch. My course starts on September 18th, and due to unforeseen visa issues (I don't live in the UK), I will be missing the first two weeks of study. 

I was just wondering whether anyone knows how heavy the first two weeks usually are and whether this is something that students are usually able to recover from. Any advice on this would be super helpful! 

Sep 4, 17 8:59 am
Ask your professors, and let them know the situation. You'll be playing some catch-up but you'll recover from it fine. You could potentially even do the work at home and have Skype crit sessions. Don't sweat it too much. I'd venture a guess that it wouldn't be the first time someone has had visa issues.
Sep 4, 17 9:17 am  · 
 · 
TED

Check with the GSA - The UK government has a cut off date for arrival of all International students with CAS docs. If you meet this deadline you will not be allowed to joint the course this year. This is a very hard time and date - no give.

Poor planning on your part.

Sep 4, 17 11:33 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

To be fair to the OP, the sudden delays in visa distribution to foreigners were reported to be unexplained in the msm. No one could have foresaw this from happening.

I blame the schools for not at least going up against the local authorities to protect prospective students. I mean, why the fuck would future students even pick the UK if they won't be protected by such circumstances?

Somewhere somehow the AA is going to feel the pinch in their wallets. lol

Sep 4, 17 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Unis pick the dates and time so they control it - they won't issue a CAS document unless they know there is sufficient time to get the visa - generally stop issuing then 1st-10th aug. Some students have to travel to different cities to get a visa - Had a guy from Somalia 2 years ago when the Nairobi Kenya shopping mall terror thing was under way - On a full scholarship he had to get a visa to travel to Nairobi to get a visa to come to UK - we had his scholarship sponsor make a few calls to get him through as terrorist in Kenya were Somalia Nationals - Unis will get penalised if they issue CAS to students who don't show up or rejected app - Newman University in Birmingham had their licensed revoked because more than 10% of students had their visa rejected. I had one student from Pakistan who first had app rejected because exchange rate changed and reduced the value of money in bank -

Sep 4, 17 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Thanks for the affirmation. Now all future students will know to blame the stupid system there. Sure it might not be the school's fault but it somehow is intrinsically tied to the system isn't it?

Sep 5, 17 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
TED

The Unis set out their specific dates to the government based upon the specific term calendar. Unless a student is coming from a country that has a UK embassy, they have to allow 8-12 weeks to get a student visa to allow for travel to a city that has an embassy as they require interviews. The student has to take some responsibility because if they have an incomplete application that gets rejected once or submits it a the last minute they won't make the start of class on time. Unis do send CAS docs out to students as soon as they have all their application docs in and offer is Unconditional -

Sep 5, 17 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I know people who missed their entire M.Arch study at the Glasgow School of Art and they are just fine.

Sep 5, 17 4:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: