Archinect
anchor

Best school (ranking) between NYU, NYIT, & CUNY?

I'm considering options for my M.Arch.

I have a B.Arch from a Mexican University, and now I'm pursuing my M.Arch in a foreign university. I would like to have an option in NYC, besides Columbia and that's not Parsons/Pratt (these last 2 are too expensive and offer no financial aid for foreign students).

So the options I've seen that seem good are NYU and CUNY. Which of the schools do you recommend and why?

My intention would be to pursue a career after my M.Arch in the USA.

I'm interested in the design side of architecture, from the small scale to the urban scale. So it can fall into the categories of urban planning, general master in architecture, and theory of architecture.

I want to consider the following:

- Chances of financial aid for foreign students

- Employment % after graduation of students

- General academic level (ranking) in the US and world-wide

Thanks!

Sep 3, 17 10:46 pm
placebeyondthesplines

the options I've seen that seem good are NYU and CUNY

this is pretty mystifying, since NYU does not have an M.Arch at all (and if you think Parsons and Pratt are expensive...) and CUNY's is absolutely terrible. 

someone who can't be bothered to find out if a school even has an architecture program probably shouldn't be overly concerned with rankings. 

Sep 4, 17 4:28 pm  · 
 · 

NYU has a master in Urban Planning.

https://wagner.nyu.edu/educati...

Sep 4, 17 8:49 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Master of Urban planning = / = Master of Architecture

Sep 4, 17 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

I did mention it could be in Urban Planning. As I'm also very interested in that.

Sep 4, 17 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

But real work makes your clothes dirty and exhausts your body where theoretical work only leaves coffee stains on your desk.

Sep 5, 17 4:19 am  · 
 · 
mjjjj
You can't compare a march with a planning program. Nyu planning is geared toward government works, not design. Do five minutes of research in their website and you can tell. One should do the homework before asking a question.
Sep 5, 17 11:54 am  · 
 · 
l3wis

why the fuck is everyone so antagonistic?

ricardo, i don't know about urban planning, but I have heard about CUNY. In terms of prestige it's the lowest in NYC as far as I can make out. But prestige shouldn't necessarily drive your decision. I strongly recommend making a trip to the US if you're not here already to visit these schools and many others in person. It is the only way you will make a good decision.

Personally I would choose a US school based on its merits and aid and not confine yourself to NYC. You can always look for a job there after school.

Sep 5, 17 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

why the fuck is everyone so antagonistic?

Why the fuck people can't spend 5 minutes doing a simple google search for something that will impact the rest of their lives, possibly? But instead they spend 5+minutes setting up a profile here to ask complete strangers for their input on questions they could or should have known themselves. That's why I guess.

Sep 5, 17 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

"My intention would be to pursue a career after my M.Arch in the USA."

"the options I've seen that seem good are NYU and CUNY"

literally not even offered at NYU. nice try with the dumb backpedal though

Sep 5, 17 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
dvelasquez

Friends at NYIT say that their program will add an M.ARCH in the fall, and that international students are eligible for some scholarship and aid programs.NYIT also has a very high success rate for employment for its graduates.

Nov 15, 17 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
eco_gen

Due to the fact that you already have a B. Arch, the only Masters of Archicture programs that I would consider if I was you would be one from an Ivy League school or one of the top 10 Architecture programs in the world. Otherwise, I would skip grad school and just work my way up the ladder.

With respect to NYU versus NYIT or CUNY, NYU is by far the superior school all around. It is one of the top private universities in the United States and has one of the largest alumni networks. If you intend to stay in New York, the NYU alumni network is very tight-knit. At the end of the day, you need to decide what you want to get out of grad school. Grad school should be about what you learn more than anything. Do you want to learn more about architecture or Urban Planning? If you want a job with a Starchitect, either go work for them for peanuts to get yourself in the door and skip the expense of grad school then work your way up or go to a top 10 architecture program so you can get your foot in the door after. 

Don't waste your time at CUNY or NYIT. They both offer great learning opportunities but it will become nearly impossible to get into the snobby Starchitect firms unless you come from serious family money and have amazing connections.

Oct 3, 18 3:07 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines_

why are you reviving a year-old thread? it's pretty obvious that ricardo abandoned his pointless quest to attend imaginary graduate programs

Oct 3, 18 6:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: