Archinect
anchor

M Arch (1 year) or M Arch (Riba part 2)? Very confused!!

thegirlxyz

Okay I need real help here. I have been very confused regarding what to pursue after my 5 year B. Arch, an M Arch (riba part 2) or an M Arch (1 year) . I've completed my B Arch from Abu Dhabi University and now I am planning to pursue RIBA part 2 in Kingston University. However I also have an option to pursue 1 year M. Arch at Oxford Brookes. I've asked this question to several people and they all give me a different opinions. My professor from my university told me that my 5 year B arch would eventually be counted as RIBA part 2 in future if my university gets accreditation. She also told me that the 1 year M.Arch is if you want to get into academia.

Also Can I go for a Phd after RIBA part 2 or it would not be possible?

Please give an opinion if you have proper knowledge of the difference between the two as I am already really confused and don't have much time to make a decision.

My future plans are to work in an achitecture firm and not teach and possibly try to get a job in the U.K?

Sep 2, 17 5:02 am
TED

The 1 year MArch at Brookes will not count for the Part 2 and the coursework if very different than any part 2 course - 

If your aim is to pursue work and professional licensing in UK, go for the Part 2 at Kingston. Being in London you have more options to Part time / summer work experience that will help you get sponsorship(Tier 2) once you finish Part 2. Use your final part 2 portfolio plus your undergrad portfolio to apply for Part 1 via ARB (don't apply before then)

While Part 2s are masters course as professional programmes they have limited contribution to a PhD - Many students do go on to study PhD but if you choose to do a PhD you might be better off doing a 3+1 option - a Masters degree (1 year) plus PhD. It will all depend on what subject area you wish to pursue -

Sep 3, 17 5:20 am  · 
 · 
TED

Please note that RIBA international validation isn't retroactive so won't count for past grads - also RIBA international Part 2's do not count for full licensure nor are recognised by ARB - so you will still need to apply unless you do you part 2 in UK.

Sep 3, 17 5:30 am  · 
 · 
Nats

You would only usually do a PhD if you wanted to be a lecturer/teacher.

Part I is the degree usually 3 years study
Part II is the postgrad diploma usually 2 years study after a year out in practice
Part III is the professional exam only after another year out in practice and allows you to practise as an architect

Sep 7, 17 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: