Archinect
anchor

School ideas in Canada?

jonathanmamane

Hi,

I'm looking to pursue a Bachelor's in architecture. I'm graduating with a BCOMM in a year and hoping to make the big jump to architecture.

I'm now looking for a good school in Canada (outside of Quebec), I have ~3.0 gpa. Any leads? Recommendations?

TIA

Aug 29, 17 10:39 pm
Non Sequitur
Jonathan, the top school in Canada, without argument, is Waterloo. But if you're looking to jump into an March instead of a bachelors, then you have to pick one of the other schools who offer a 3y gig since Loo does not take non arch applicants. Just avoid UofT.

Do you have a portfolio? A 3.0 gpa likely won't get admission panels hot and heavy.
Aug 30, 17 6:26 am  · 
 · 
jonathanmamane

Hey, thanks a lot for the response.

I'm currently working on a portfolio. To be honest, I'm not very good at drawing, but currently taking classes. However, I'm much better at building things out of wood, lego, and other materials. I'm very creative, but for some reason, drawing isn't my forte.

My portfolio is coming along, and eitherway, most schools haven't different requirements for them.

I'm currently looking to do a bachelor's in architecture, and eventually an MArch.

I was currently looking at Carleton University, Dalhousie, University of Manitoba, Waterloo, and even UBC's new architecture program.

What are your thoughts?

Sep 12, 17 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thoughts? Don't bother with another bachelors if you already have one... unless you're getting into Waterloo (doubtful with a 3.0 GPA). Just aim for the 3-year M.Arch that take non architecture applicants such as UofT and UBC. You'll save loads of time and money. As for the portfolio, it is true that drawing weighs heavily but what is important is that you can convey creative process. How you do it with woodwork or other sculptural means is the real challange.

As an aside, how much of the profession do you actually know? 

Sep 12, 17 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
jonathanmamane

Isn't it difficult for someone with a business background to jump into a Masters in a field I have never experienced, albeit a very intense hobby?

I'll be 23 when I start a new bachelor's and time or money isn't necessarily my main concern right now, it's really about doing what I love in life, and that's priceless. There are options, such as Dalhousie that offer a 2 year bachelor for students who already have a bachelor's and an additional 2 year masters program, which sounds amazing. I'm willing to take my time and learn rather than speed through it.

I'm not sure if I know so much about the profession. My idea is of concept, design, project creation, and coming up with ideas. I'm sure there is much more to it than I think and I'm looking to learn more about it by the time I apply.

TIA

Sep 12, 17 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jonathan, Dal's option could easily work for you. From what I understand, it's a continuous 2y meaning no summer breaks although I could be misinformed. Most schools that offer M.Arch to lay students all have intro courses on the fundamentals but yes, there is a steep learning curve when dealing with construction details and project management. Keep in mind that while concept design might be the main focus during school, it's far from that in practice... since money at this point is the main concern. Best of luck.

Sep 12, 17 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
jonathanmamane

Thanks a lot!! :D

Sep 12, 17 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
mjjjj

''However, I'm much better at building things out of wood, lego, and other materials. I'm very creative, but for some reason, drawing isn't my forte.''      What you should know before you go to arch school is that while in school, you will be trained like you will be the next Frank Gehry but once you're out, work you will be doing for next many years is highly unlikely to be anything creative. I only learned that during late school years. So, maybe you are, maybe you are not, but don't fantasize about the profession.

Sep 27, 17 9:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: