Archinect
anchor

March advice

Ck1976

hello everyone. I am considering applying to an architecture program and because I already have a BS degree and doctoral degree, the schools I have communicated with have all recommended the M.arch program. I am older and professionally established and would not necessarily be doing this for a career but rather out of interest and the desire to learn more about the field. I still have full benefits from the GI bill, so this would basically be an opportunity to explore a free education in a field I have always had an interest in. Ilive in San Francisco, CA so the two main choices I have are AAU and Berkeley.  It is possible I would not be accepted to Berkely, regardless, but I will apply and find out in March of 2018. If I enroll in AAU I could start immediately. Because I am not dependent on this degree for a 'future' in architecture, does anyone see a benefit in 'going for gold' with Berkeley? Or is  M.arch education fairly comperable across the board these days, plus or minus the inevitable 'prestige' and networking opportunities the more reputable schools afford? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Aug 25, 17 7:18 pm
archinine
Isn't AAU a for profit enterprise?

That alone should deter you...

If you're interested in lifelong learning opportunities you'll get much further at a real school. You'll also have the opportunity to sit in and audit other courses outside the major, and a very wide range, not just for profit 10th tier art classes. Apply at Berkeley until you get in. Network your way in if you have to, just keep showing up til they can't say no. You have a doctorate that's got to be worth something to them.

If you absolutely can't get into the Arch program (which isn't THAT competitive especially in a strong economy) apply to an easier program and audit some arch classes. By audit I really mean, get access to that course catalog plus a student ID which gets you into all the buildings, and just show up. Outside of studio courses it's highly unlikely a professor is going to say 'no you can't sit in just to learn'. Some of my favorite courses over the years were completely outside of my majors and never appeared on my transcript aka were 100% free just because I showed up and asked.
Aug 25, 17 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
Ck1976

Thanks for your input. I think I might be looking for an excuse not to try Cal. I feel conflicted possibly taking a spot in a top program from someone who may actually depend on the degree for a career, but I definitely want the best education I can obtain. Your argument is logical. The 'for profit school' issue doesn't sit well with me, either.

Aug 26, 17 10:51 am  · 
 · 
mikomendoza

Architecture school is grueling. With that said, I think it was the most fulfilling education i've ever received (granted it is the only higher-education I've ever received). There are different paths you can take with an education in architecture, so it really depends on the direction you want to take. 

I would say is the most common, is studio/project based. I caution that this direction is very demanding. These classes are intended to hone student's design skills, teach fundamentals, improve technological skill and application to the built environment. Without a background in architecture, you'll likely be placed in the M.Arch 3 at Berkeley should you get in. This will require 6 studio courses (1 each semester) + core classes (structures, building systems, construction methods). To be totally honest, there will be little time for leisure, or extra curricular. However, as an emerging profession within the field, it was a great place to meet colleagues and professors who could provide opportunities. To make the most out of architecture school, you really have to be committed and passionate. Additionally, studio classes are EXPENSIVE. The amount of money needed for supplies is quite steep. 

Secondly, you could pursue architecture in a more history and theory based sense. Architectural theory was one of my most favorite subjects outside of studio. It does take you to another dimension of architecture, past the concrete and steel that make a building stand. It delves into spatial function, and the fundamentals of why certain spaces work, and why others do not. Everyone interprets architecture and theory differently, so the debates are always fulfilling and engaging. 

To the point the other response made, if you get accepted into Berkeley, you can take any class in any college as long as you meet the prerequisites. However, you need a certain amount of credits that are your "core classes" For example, even though I was in the School of Architecture, I could have taken Japanese or something like Intro to Neurology if i really wanted to. Berkeley is an open book! 

Architecture schools vary greatly, and prestige of the school, unfortunately, does matter. While I cannot speak for CCA or AAU, the connections that the professors have at Berkeley reach national and international waters. We've had a number of "Starchitects" lecture at Berkeley (SANAA, Kenga Kuma, Thom Mayne, etc) and sometimes teach a studio or two. Lets take UCLA as an example. They have some of the hardest hitters of this era of architecture teaching studios.

Another college you might consider is CCA (California College of Arts). This is a private art school, so it'll be quite pricey. This is more comparable to Pratt or Parsons in NYC or RISD in Rhode Island. 

Hope this helps! 

Sep 3, 17 1:15 am  · 
 · 
Ck1976

Thanme Miko. Pardon my ignorance, but do I understand you correctly? Does Cal have two different paths? Studio vs theory? If so, is theory exclusive of studio?

Sep 7, 17 2:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: