Archinect
anchor

Architecture master where I learn to build?

vicentearancibiapena

Hi everyone.

I'm a chilean architecture student 2 years away from finishing a master and professional degree here. (PUC).

After I finish, I'd like to go study overseas and get another master. I want this master to be about actually building, not very theoretical. I like theory a lot but I feel like I have so much to learn about building.

As a reference, my favorite architects are Zumthor, SANAA, Scarpa, Piano, Bo Bardi. You get the idea.

I want to get another master because I can get a free scolarship and I'd like to use it to know people overseas as I'd like to emigrate to europe in the future.

I like the ETH a lot but my german is way too basic for that, I think.

I've been thinking about some AA programs but not sure.

Ty!

Aug 23, 17 8:06 pm
randomised

If you want to actually build just work and let someone else take that free scholarship, don't be greedy.

Aug 23, 17 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

To be honest most scholarships aren't used here (government ones).

I think going to a foreign university would be fun too :p

I feel like I if I just hit somewhere straight working I won't have any friends as I feel like you can create stronger bonds with classmates, and so on and so on.

These two look particulary fitting:

http://www.aaschool.ac.uk/STUD...

https://architecture.mit.edu/b...

Don't they?

Aug 24, 17 12:01 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Go to both then, double the fun, double the friends...

Aug 24, 17 4:39 am  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

any special reason for being so harsh?

Aug 25, 17 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I'm not harsh I'm frank. It's all paid for by your government so grab as much of it while you can and enjoy it before it's too late.

Aug 26, 17 4:23 am  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

lol, I still have to be young after that to start working, plus it's my family who will pay what I eat.

Aug 26, 17 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Definitely get a job under a contractor.

Schools' these days are into digital fabrication, not much traditional carpentry.

Aug 24, 17 6:10 am  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

I'm looking to anything related with how buildings are made, wether hand craft or machine craft :)

Aug 24, 17 11:14 am  · 
 · 
archinine
Architects don't build they draw instructions for others to build with. Common misconception
Aug 24, 17 8:31 am  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

lol. I have observed that to know how to give instructions of how to build you must know how to build.

Aug 24, 17 11:12 am  · 
1  · 
archanonymous

Tulane University

Auburn University

ETH Zurich

Cal Poly San Louis Obispo

Aug 24, 17 9:43 am  · 
1  · 
vicentearancibiapena

ty!

Aug 26, 17 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Quite untrue Vicent. Knowing how things are put together in an idealized manner is different than knowing how they are built, and even more so than actually being able to stand in for a carpenter and do said building. Some architects can build things, but certainly not all, and it's rare to learn anything about it in school.
Aug 24, 17 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Need to be careful though, if you know too well how things are supposed to go together you end up being a craftsman and not an architect. Not knowing everything in minute detail can keep you open minded and propose new solutions for problems others wouldn't dream of, simply because they know exactly how it is supposed to be done, not how it alternatively possibly could be done as well, or something.

Aug 25, 17 1:59 am  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

This debate could be interesting but this format (online chatting) is not too good for it. Regards.

Aug 25, 17 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

The format is excellent!

Aug 26, 17 4:24 am  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

Oh, I enjoy seminars much better. You can't express 20 minutes of talking in this online chat. Plus it's harder to share bibliography.

Aug 26, 17 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Of course you can, you can upload all that talking via youtube and simply copy-paste your bibliography in the comments...

Aug 28, 17 5:40 am  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

you are clever one!

Aug 28, 17 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Yale. (Jim Vlock House).

Alternatively, get a job in an architect-led design-build firm. 

Aug 25, 17 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
vicentearancibiapena

Hmm I might have not made myself clear :) Ty for all your answers but with build I don't mean: "normal and traditional building". I know that alredy, my dad is an architect who has a ton of experience in built works. I want to learn new and more advanced ways of building, that's why I gave the example of my favorite architects. Scarpa knew all the craftmen from his region to achieve his works. Piano understands how materials and the industry work. Zumthor knows how to craft his buildings. Sejima knows the steel industry and can do some complicated steel sections and surfaces. And so on and so on. :)

Aug 25, 17 6:57 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Since you already know 'normal and traditional building', I doubt there is a studio that teaches you how to build at that more advanced ways other than it being theoretical again.. Most of these well known architects learn new techniques and innovate themselves for each of their built projects. I think its more of an attitude or way of working through each project to completion that makes them who they are.

Aug 25, 17 11:33 pm  · 
1  · 
vicentearancibiapena

good insight :) However, it is the same case with theorics. They do theory and we read it to generate debate and learn new stuff and grow the discipline from there. Why couldn't the same be applied to construction techniques? There even exist these kind of masters, I just wanted to know wether there are some others I might be overlooking.

Aug 26, 17 6:52 pm  · 
1  · 
archinine
Sounds like what you need is many years experience working for many different styles of architects as was the method of those who you cite. Schools tend to have a particular pedagogy that is often quite narrow, though they vary from school to school. Try working for an architect whom you admire and then another and so on. You'll learn a lot more and get paid in the process. Alternatively research the architects teaching whose work you like and enroll in their courses. Your description is very vague yet you mention specific people, follow those people and learn from them.
Aug 25, 17 9:15 pm  · 
1  · 
vicentearancibiapena

You're right, thank you for your comment!

Aug 26, 17 6:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: