Archinect
anchor

Rough partial portfolio critique?

archKash

https://issuu.com/aidenkashi/d...

Ok so I am applying to maybe four M.Arch 1 programs around January. I don't have any background in design (business major) and so these are all personal projects, and a bit from GSAPP's Intro to Arch program. 

Things that I acknowledge are...

I will put more of an introduction/ table of contents...I didn't do much writing yet so I just added a lot of filler text... I know every spread needs a page number and bottom title... I am adding another spread to the smoke detector project with a working 3d printed prototype... 

So if you have any suggestions... something I'm overlooking? It is very hard to critique your own work.

Thanks a lot guys! I really appreciate this!

Aug 20, 17 4:57 pm
archKash

And that second to last spread will have a lot more content on that page explaining the elevator and reactor. Im adding more pages to this project.

I know this is all extremely rough.. but I just want to make sure that Im not making any huge mistakes. 

Aug 20, 17 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
archinine
Those are quite polished renders for not having done much studio. Would be nice to see more sketching and thought processes. Something a little less polished would be nice as it feels a bit cold. But that depends where you're applying.
Aug 20, 17 8:22 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

I'll have to agree with the above comment.

How were you able to achieve the scale of the stadium project w/o any background in design/studio? You'll have to be careful if you didn't participate much in the design process.

Aug 21, 17 2:28 am  · 
 · 
archKash

In the last two years Ive grown very addicted to Rhino, VRay, Photoshop etc... But is that a legitimate concern I should have that the admissions wouldn't believe I made this? Because everything here is 100% me. I know people pay money for others to do their portfolios and that pisses me off.

Aug 21, 17 10:25 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I've seen worse portfolios from recent architecture graduates and you didn't even start yet! And I think as mentioned it is also essential to show more of the concept behind those projects and the reasons for doing them the way they are, especially since they are personal projects that you made from scratch, why did you make them the way you did, what informed your decisions, etc.. I really like the scribble on the cover, you could do more of those perhaps to show the parti of each project. Another thing is that not everything needs to be shown in pseudo-photorealistic computer renders, what about some maquettes (made by hand, not everything 3d printed please) or simple sketch/process models to spice it up a bit? But overall congrats on what you have so far.

Aug 21, 17 3:06 am  · 
 · 
archKash

So I shouldn't just be describing the actual projects themselves... but I should discuss them with more of a personal tone? Like where the ideas came from? Even maybe why something I made wouldn't work?

Aug 21, 17 10:31 am  · 
 · 
randomised

You could show where it came from, what your fascination was and how your process went that led to those final renders. I'm not sure if you should discuss your projects and indicate where things might not work, focus on what does work I guess. But maybe someone else has some cents or two to offer on that.

Aug 21, 17 10:38 am  · 
 · 
archKash

Awesome! Thanks for those pointers!

Aug 21, 17 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
ilovearchitecture

show failures. the hardest thing to admit and realise is your own failures. a design process is a journey to find something. show them that you fail midway and consequently, pick a different road. show them that you fail at the end but you have realised something along the way. show them self-awareness. don't show them that you are a loser for failing, though. a thin line, that is.

Aug 22, 17 12:23 am  · 
 · 
joeuk

The stadium looks magnificent.

Aug 21, 17 3:43 am  · 
 · 
archinine
I forgot to state explicitly that these projects are quite cool looking-didn't mean to seem I was ripping you a new one. That is me coming from a very similar background with studios making very similar space ship like stuff. It would be nice to have context, more diagrams, etc. if you're applying to Columbia, Pratt, penn, sci arc sort of places you're right on track with their styles. Also recommend to limit the text as architects hate reading especially the ones who favor the space looking stuff.
Aug 21, 17 8:06 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: