Archinect
anchor

landscape arch @ BAC

marymays

hi, i'm not sure if this is appropriate, but it never hurts to ask! i'm returning to school and want to study landscape architecture. (i'm 30 and never completed my bachelors). i'm interested in BAC, i am good at and enjoy learning through working, but the comments on this forum have me worried. does anyone have any insight about their bachelor landscape program or how likely i could find a job in boston, or any other helpful info to set me on the right path? i have no real experience in proper design, i have a food/ag background, but we do a lot of construction on the farm, we just don't use computers! if this is the wrong place for this, i'm sorry, but thank you for your time.

Aug 3, 17 1:09 pm

Q: Must it be in Boston? That narrows down your options a bit.

Aug 3, 17 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
blue_laurel

I work at a landscape arch firm in Boston, and we don't really hear or see much coming out of the BAC, although they were just recently accredited so I'm sure they'll pick up a bit now. I'd definitely go talk to someone there to answer your specific questions.

As Marc asked, are you limiting yourself to Boston? If so, the BAC is really your only option for a bachelor's. UMass Amherst has a program in the western part of the state. There are many other good schools around the country with better rankings and alumni if you're worried about it.

What do you want to pursue after the degree? Are you interested in creating landscape plans for production, or streetscapes, or parks? I came into this field (with an ag background as well) hoping to learn more about what LA's do before I continued on to get my masters, and my mind has definitely been changed after seeing what LA's do all day.

Aug 3, 17 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
marymays

Marc 

It doesn't have to be in Boston. I am currently in Albuqueruqe.

Aug 3, 17 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

I was going to jump to conclusions regarding why BAC initially, but won't. So why there then? There are a lot of programs between Albuquerque and Boston.

Aug 3, 17 9:52 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Head on up to Utah State for the Bs landscape architecture its cheap and rally good

Aug 4, 17 11:05 am  · 
 · 

This also may be a matter of the type of program (BLA vs. BSLA vs Co-op). It's not just cheap the program is, it's also if it's a good fit. The OP may have credits from previous education that could help w/ electives, but if teaching methods don't jive with the learning style... 

Aug 4, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: