Archinect
anchor

Wooden beams on top of steel beams?

Aqua123

Hello

So on the first construction detail the person put wooden beams on top of the steel HEB profile. I would put wood beams between the steel beams like the second image, but is there any benefits to put the wooden beam on top of the steel?

My second question is, the insulation of the wall comes a little more than just right between the studs, why is that so? 

On the second construction detail the wooden beam is right next to the HEB profile and doesn't have a space of insulation inbetween?

Jul 30, 17 4:40 am

Consulting starts @ $400 an hour. 

Paid in advance.

Jul 30, 17 8:15 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

i like the wasp habitat behind the gutter

Jul 30, 17 10:21 am  · 
 · 
randomised

We do like our wasps in Holland, yes.

Jul 30, 17 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Yep, those ones.

Jul 31, 17 1:34 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

WF mud sill 

Jul 30, 17 11:00 am  · 
 · 
randomised

So probably your assignment is due tomorrow, gonna be a late night :)

Jul 30, 17 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Also, you do it like that so you have space for your beermats (bierviltjes)...W
here do you actually study/pay your tuition fee?

Jul 30, 17 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
z6jbishop

Are those pictures for ants?

Jul 30, 17 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You know you can click on them, right?

Jul 30, 17 3:01 pm  · 
 · 

The detail is interesting.

Steel is used to support all kinds of loads and the wood and steel combo is not a problem but for the fire protection as this is going to be a combustible construction type. It looks like the steel has the intumescent paint.  Sometimes it is common for steel to be used within a wood frame construction to support a sliding door/wall, especially when it is more than 8 feet wide. Otherwise it may be just a look. Also to blow peoples minds back in the day used to build brick arches between steel beams.

about the insulation extending beyond the studs, this is probably not the bat insulation but some kind of rigid insulation and or sheathing to hold the bat insulation in place.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Aug 5, 17 7:28 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Too late, I think he already failed his class.

Aug 5, 17 7:52 am  · 
 · 

"The detail is interesting."

Really? Those details are interesting only as far as they demonstrate the complete incompetence of whoever drafted them.

Aug 5, 17 9:12 am  · 
 · 
randomised

I think the OP "drafted" it because it relates to a previous post of his/hers.

Aug 5, 17 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: