Archinect
anchor

Match Rhino and Sketchup cameras, script provided!

Hi all, I came up with a workflow that can match camera views between Rhino and Sketchup quickly and painlessly. Rhino linework, Sketchup shadows, the possibilities are endless!

http://www.deisherstudio.com/b...

Note, I do use Flux (wrote about that here http://www.deisherstudio.com/b...) for this workflow, but you can still do this without Flux if you export/import between Rhino and Sketchup, Flux just makes it way easier to do that.

Jul 20, 17 12:17 pm
nabrU

Export to Maya, shoot it like a photograph, use your renderer of choice? 35mm FOV in Rhino / 35mm FOV in any other program will be identical with the same film back and output resolution, and simply taking camera co-ordinates based on the same world space (which is pretty simple stuff) and translating to the same scale elsewhere is easy.

Jul 20, 17 10:03 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

You're alternative to the free Sketchup software is another Autodesk program that costs you $185 per month, thanks but no thanks ...I'll pass

Jul 21, 17 12:26 am  · 
 · 

Samuel, there are definitely a bunch of ways to take care of matching cameras which I agree is fairly simple (though I'd argue never nearly as simple as a single copy-paste, give me a little credit!). But what I've liked so far about using Flux is how it prevents all of those unnecessary files that accrue after a session of exporting other formats to make presentation drawings. After a handful of drawings, a folder can easily be full of "Model view1.3dm, Model view1.skp, View1.ai, View1.png, Model view2.3dm, Model view2.skp" etc.

Also, this workflow is aimed primarily at someone who relies mainly on Rhino for both design and visualization—and maybe even balks at the idea of using Sketchup at all—which I've found is pretty common at least at my school. If a Rhino/Maya workflow is a primary tool in your arsenal, then I don't doubt you can make quick studies like this is no time at all, but you're probably more advanced with viz techniques than many.

Jul 21, 17 10:29 am  · 
 · 
nabrU

Hi Randomised, Maya is not in my view an Autodesk product, I first used it when version 2.5/3 came out on windows instead of irix/SGI and it was at that time actively developed by Alias | Wavefront, it was also fairly affordable as a licence until Autodesk went full Adobe rental model and ceased development in the same vein.

Jul 22, 17 11:53 pm  · 
 · 
nabrU

Hi Scott, in my view, and I’ve probably stated the same in previous posts sketchup is pretty good for lots of things in terms of 3D modelling, especially for architecture in the majority of projects (i.e. planar surfaces). I’ve basic/no experience of Rhino at all as I moved to Maya, from 3DS Max for 3D stuff as soon as it was available on windows and Rhino appears pretty unintuitive for NURBS etc for me personally (I’m not an architect and only saw Rhino being used in concept design at ZHA). 

Jul 22, 17 11:59 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

I'll just leave this here in case you want to extend your reach:

http://archinect.com/advertisi...

bookmarked your site though ;)

Jul 21, 17 12:21 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for sharing this! Am certainly interested in extending my reach, I'll look into it.

Jul 21, 17 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: