Archinect
anchor

Studying undergraduate architecture in UK, mastering in US?

Wesley She

Hello guys! Got a few questions to ask concerning my further studies. I am an international student from Hong Kong who has just graduated from high school. Originally, I was planning to study architecture in the Carnegie Mellon University (which i got in tgt with cornell), however, mid-way thru the year, the financial status for my family literally collapsed. 5+2 years in the states (nearly USD 90000 per year) would be impossible for my family. Since US is somewhere I really would like to study eventually, I therefore have the following options:

1. Studying BA Architecture in the University of Edinburgh (three years, RIBA part 1) --> Studying MPhil Degree in Architecture and Urban Design in the University of Cambridge (two years, RIBA part 2+ Master in Philosophy) --> Cornell/ MIT/ Harvard/ Columbia M.Arch II (two years)

2. Studying BA Architecture in the University of Edinburgh (three years, RIBA part 1) --> Studying MPhil Degree in Architecture and Urban Design in the University of Cambridge (two years, RIBA part 2+ Master in Philosophy)

3. Studying Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies in the University of Hong Kong (four years, RIBA part 1) --> Cornell/ MIT/ Harvard/ Columbia M.Arch I (three years)

4. Studying Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies in the University of Hong Kong (four years, RIBA part 1) --> Studying Master of Architecture in the University of Hong Kong (two years, RIBA part 2) --> Cornell/ MIT/ Harvard/ Columbia M.Arch I (three years)

5. Studying Bachelor of Arts in Architectural Studies in the University of Hong Kong (four years, RIBA part 1) --> Studying Master of Architecture in the University of Hong Kong (two years, RIBA part 2)

A few things here:

1. I really wanna study in the States for personal reasons

2. I would wanna work in the states, in fact, I would love to live there. To get the Visa and work there, is it a must to study there? 

3. Option 4,5,6 are significantly cheaper, tuition for the University of Hong Kong at about USD 6000 annually.

4. Is RIBA part 3 really that important? Can you still be an architect without RIBA part 3?

5. Which option seems the most worth it and economic for you guys? Which would be the best for my career as a future architect, or they are more or less the same?

Thanks so much!

Jul 11, 17 11:40 am
archietechie

Sorry about your financial situation.

Not sure about UK's system (RIBA) so won't comment on that. As for the States, why 5+2 though? Bachelors would usually suffice for licensure so perhaps recalculate the costs and see if it works out.

At this point I'd recommend option (3) for practicality. Get your bachelors there before coming here for Masters. Upon entry/admission, firms usually only look at your Masters degree for assessment.

Jul 11, 17 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wesley She

Thanks for the reply
Yet, I would wanna noe about the master degree in the states, is it true that I would be learning with people who study other subjects in their undergraduate years? Does that mean i would have to "learn all over again"? lets say i have a bachelor degree for architecture (not b. arch), how long does it usually take for me to finish the master degree? Would the time be shorter than those who didnt study architecture in their undergraduate years? 

Thanks so much!!!!

Jul 13, 17 9:40 pm  · 
 · 
TeenageWasteland

Stay in HK, get your RIBA part I and II , only for the registration purpose, then post-professional M.Arch / Columbia ( M. arch AAD ) / Yale M.Arch 2 ...bla bla

It's worth to check whether US schools recognise 3-yrs B.Arch degree from British system if you really want to do M.Arch ( professional ) in the States.

Jul 11, 17 8:33 pm  · 
 · 
TED

International RIBA PT 1, 2 are not UK/ARB Part 1/2 so as long as UK is not on your radar to practice fine.

If money is an issue agree to do 'professional' studies' in HK then do Post Professional Masters in US - much more innovation in US degrees when not tied to practice-professional qualification.

Jul 12, 17 5:14 am  · 
 · 
Wesley She

Thanks so much for the reply.

Now i am considering another approach, which is to stop my studying for architecture after i have reached RIBA part 2, and then go to the states to study master of another subject lets say computer science.

Do you think such degree would be enough? Is RIBA part 3 or master in the states for architecture really that important? 

Thanks so much!!!

Jul 13, 17 9:43 pm  · 
 · 

You got into CMU and Cornell for undergrad? And prior to starting school you are saying that your financial status has changed? Have you spoken to anyone at those schools? There may be financial aid opportunities available depending on the circumstances. Generally, financial review exams the prior year. But if you can demonstrate a change in circumstance, they can sometimes be flexible. 

If you have the opportunity to goto CMU or Cornell for undergrad over Edinburgh, you should make that happen. See if you can delay a year  (holding your spot so you don't have to apply again) and go out and hustle up some scholarships. 

Jul 12, 17 10:05 am  · 
 · 
TED

Agree. While I applaud your scenarios and that you focused on clear Uni's you wish to join, US schools do offer financial support while generally UK does not (UG) so give it a go - may not be as dire as you suggest.

Jul 13, 17 5:57 am  · 
 · 
Wesley She

Its actually something really dumb that i did.

Jul 13, 17 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
Wesley She

I rejected cornell cuz i wanna do the BCsA Computer Science and Art program in CMU. But then lt was after i rejected cornell that i realised CMU doesnt offer financial aid for international students. If i could have picked again, I would definitely do Barch in Cornell and get my CS master later

Jul 13, 17 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wesley She

Random would you guys happen to know the difference between mastering in the states vs uk? Lets say two people, one mastered his or her archi in Yale/MIT/Cornell/Harvard, another one finished RIBA part 2 in cambridge or UCL, which one would have a better career? Do employers value the experience studying in the states over uk by a lot?

thanks so muchhhhhh

Jul 13, 17 10:00 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Choose your option based upon where you want to set up your career - in US or UK. Architecture is about culture so both countries are distinct cultural experiences. Using your studies to understand this gives you the best leg up.

Jul 27, 17 6:41 am  · 
 · 

Hi,

I did my undergrad in UK and Master in US. I was at University of Nottingham for B.Arch (RIBA Part I), and I just graduated with M.Arch from Parsons School of Design in New York. The M.Arch program is a three-year course, but I got advanced placement into second year, since I have background in architecture. 

I applied to Harvard, Yale etc for M.Arch I but was rejected so I am not sure how lenient they are to accept UK Part I students...

Jul 26, 17 8:38 pm  · 
 · 
TED

As been discussed here many times, your portfolio is very important to your application. For international candidates the entry exams also play a role. Nottingham is a much more technical Uni (sustainability) so while your portfolio demonstrated competencies in many areas, most likely design was less a priority in the work. US Three year MArch programmes are generally for those without undergraduate architecture degree so entering MArch II (two year) with a 3 year Part 1 is very much the norm for any US candidate entering with a 4 year BA/BS Arch.

Jul 27, 17 6:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: