Archinect
anchor

Final Project

Gaidamack

I will be starting my final year in school in a couple of months, and I have a general idea about what I'm gonna work on for my final project, but it's still not really clear in my head, and I'm writing here to see if some you can contribute something to my initial research or help me organize my thoughts better.

The general outline is examining how our cities will look in the future; not in a sci-fi kind of way where cars are flying and buildings look weird, but in the context of technological advancement which will massively affect how we use and experience anything.

The automation of jobs, for instance, will render all work places obsolete in their physical or architectural way or at least alter our conception of "work". Housing will be approached differently. Private and public places will seize to be an architectural condition. Spaces will no longer be defined by their function, as any space can be anything, and how do we plan spaces which are so vague? Our transportation systems and infrastructure will be different as well, as self-driving car are emerging, and once jobs (or the vast majority of them at least) are eradicated, what are people using transportation for? how are they using the city if you don't have to work anymore? building facades will behave differently as their role will change in the public sphere and they will be deployed to transform information or collect data. The working class will seize to exist. the economy will change, global warming will make buildings just giant air conditioners. The interior will also be the only exterior, who would have the means of production and the who will have the authority on planning the city? is it the state? or cooperations will be even more powerful by then?... and so on...

None of what is written above is based on anything really, those are just my initial thoughts on what the city need to cope with, and a lot of these might be stupid or simply wrong. So what are your thoughts on this? what are some good resources to help me develop this more and have more coherent and well-based conclusions? 

Jul 9, 17 8:22 am
archietechie

Sounds like a thesis given the depth.

Is it?

Jul 9, 17 10:06 am  · 
 · 
Gaidamack

It certain can be and I'm approaching it like a thesis for now, just in order to collect the materials I need. But I'm more inserted in producing and urban project, and a experimental one to some extent, rather than writing a 20 page thesis about it.

Jul 9, 17 10:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
20 pages? That's not a thesis, maybe the intro chapter only. Damn, kids have it so easy these days.
Jul 9, 17 8:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: