Archinect
anchor

Desktop or laptop?

Dinanajjar88

hi I'm working on 3dsmax for rendering and on rhino for modelling. And i want to update my computer. Which is better a desktop or a laptop? And what specifications should they have?

Many thanks

Jul 4, 17 11:41 am
Non Sequitur

desktop.

Jul 4, 17 11:44 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Build a powerful desktop yourself for heavy rendering, modeling, video tasks etc.  It will take you a day or less to assemble it yourself.  Buy a cheap laptop on the side for basic modeling and small tasks on the go.  You'd have to spend an arm and leg to get a laptop nearly as powerful as a desktop.

Jul 4, 17 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

It is best to get a desktop for power, but a laptop is best if you have to work with clients, and show them what you are working on.

Either way, you need to get a "Workstation" to do serious 3D modeling. This means a graphics card that is Autodesk compatible. There are only two types; Nvidia Quadro, and AMD Firepro. Go to the Autodesk website and look at compatible systems if you need more info.

Here is my favorite desktop workstation at the moment: http://www.digitalstorm.com/bo...

Here is my favorite laptop workstation: http://www.dell.com/en-us/work...

Jul 4, 17 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
Spoons

You don't need a Quadro or Firepro card. Any modern midlevel and up gaming video card will be able to handle your 3DS max modeling, Rhino or Autocad needs. Quadro cards are excessively expensive and frankly would be a waste of money as you would likely gain very little to no perceivable speed increase.

Jul 7, 17 8:54 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Desktop all the way, they're not even that heavy:

Jul 6, 17 3:13 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

:)

Jul 6, 17 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

neither, etcha sketch

Jul 6, 17 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: