Archinect
anchor

Help Identify This Style

Canadian_Guy

Not sure what I was looking at but it's found in Field, British Columbia. The chimney and the wall around the house are made from river rock taken from the Kicking Horse River that goes through the town.

Jun 12, 17 12:50 pm
citizen

Tudor-ish?

(Yours is much nicer.)

Jun 12, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
Canadian_Guy

Let's agree to disagree. Nice post.

Jun 12, 17 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

It's pretty obviously derived from Voysey.  

A Voyseyesque English Arts and Crafts house. 

Jun 13, 17 12:43 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

By the way, it's a very lovely little house, at least from this vantage point.

Jun 13, 17 12:57 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

It looks Tudor to me. The stonework around the arched entry door, the shape of the roof, the grouping of the windows, and the stone chimney with the chimney pots are classic Tudor. The half-timbering is missing, but that is often the case. I am not familiar with Voysey.

Jun 13, 17 7:16 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Google "Voysey houses" and you will see many examples.

Here's a page on one of his great country houses, "The Orchard":

http://www.voysey.gotik-romanik.de/The%20Orchard%20Thumbnails/Thumbnails.html

Jun 13, 17 9:35 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Thanks, but they also seem versions of Tudor to me. A lot of his elements in his houses seem very similar to "collegiate" gothic style. Perhaps he arranged these elements in his own way but I don't see him inventing them.

Jun 13, 17 10:50 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

won't somebody please look up voysey houses?

Jun 13, 17 11:06 am  · 
 · 
TIQM
There's certainly a lot of the Tudor in Voysey's work. I'm good with calling it that if you want, V.

CFA Voysey is generally regarded as having created a pretty unique synthesis of characters in his work. So much so that Pevsner had him pegged as a proto-modernist, which I think is deluded, and self-serving. Voysey himself was apparently very irritated by Pevsner's characterization.
Jun 13, 17 11:21 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

An aside:  Isn't Field near Mount Burgess? 

Home of Walcott's Quarry and the famous Burgess Shale.

Jun 13, 17 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: