Archinect
anchor

Mental Health 'A space of Healing'

Vincentcpy

I'm currently doing my M. Arch dissertation and thesis regarding mental illnesses that are increasing nowadays. As I found out there are many issues with its mental institution design that is poorly or badly architectural design which causes stigmas for the patients or public. These problem not only cause stigma but also cause patients period of stay increase because of the place that is not promoting health or healing environment to them.

I cant find any good justification for the poorly architectural healthcare design so I'm stuck in half way here. I have search through the website and most of it talks about the bad sanitary design and other minor issue that I cant take it as a strong argument for my dissertation.

I welcome anyone with any ideas or suggestion regarding to this topic.  

Jun 12, 17 1:28 pm
senjohnblutarsky

Since I've done a bit of mental health type work...

They're regulated into oblivion.  Building code is strict.  Then they have various inspections and certifications they have to pass.  

That's not saying there isn't freedom in design.  There is, but it's a limited freedom.  You do what is required and design around it.  A lot of what is required isn't always great. I still cringe at the no toilet seat thing. 

Jun 12, 17 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
b.winters

I would read a thesis on the mental health of architecture students and how architectural education affects students mental health. From what I have read, over half my school was using the school's mental health center.

Jun 13, 17 7:09 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: