Archinect
anchor

Architectural degree other job options besides being a drafter?

amenapi

Hello,j ust want to ask if there's a future / place for an Architectural Graduate to work in the "build/construction" field? 

I'm a project coordinator in a company doing commercials buildings for 4 years now. This is my first job and before I started this job I believe I already got a big understanding on how buildings are constructed/work. I was entrusted early on my job to create a whole construction set, provide solutions by creating details in order to make the design buildable/ to work. Basically, tell me what you want, or the end product and I'll make it work (coordinate with MEP/Structural/Civil). However, looking at my career path, I see myself just like my boss which will be a Project Manager and by looking at him right now, I don't think I want to be one. He usually just talks/communicate with clients, coordinate with GC if there's a problem and budget the hours we've worked with the project which is really not my thing, I really want to learn more about building construction methods and be hands on and know more in depth on how to construct a well detailed building. As of now, 99.9% of time I'm at the office, doing drafting work and have a feeling that I'm not progressing anymore. Every time I heard that the projects that I've worked on has been completed, I'm wondering if those details that I provided was done per the plans or if they do it some other way. I go to a site visit like once a year like 4 hours per year, and mostly they never do it on the projects that I'm working on since paying an employee to basically not do anything will just waste their precious budget hours/profit (which is by the way I'm a very efficient worker only needed like 30% of the total hours allowed to finish the plans). I'm thinking of moving my career to the otherside of this field which is the construction side and just wanted to know if there's a position for a person with a BS architecture degree on the construction side? 

Anyone who wants to share their thoughts? Thanks!

Jun 4, 17 11:44 pm
proto

reasonable questions

they are best directed towards your boss; present them honestly and matter-of-fact-ly and I suspect your boss will try to help you get other experiences.

Jun 5, 17 11:12 am  · 
 · 
amenapi

Thanks for the reply proto, just don't know if there's other experiences available at the company that I'm working on. I'm thinking of looking for something different something that I don't need to keep my eyes on the computer monitor all the time. Maybe a site inspector, or an estimator or maybe work on the GC side but I don't know the position they have on their team. 

Jun 5, 17 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: