Archinect
anchor

Bachelors or Masters Arch?

marcus_91

Hello, 

I'm currently a working professional, 26yo, with a graduate degree in Bachelors of Business Administration (Marketing & Finance) and looking into pursuing studies in Architecture. I've been researching on where/how to start this journey and not sure on the most effective, efficient way. 

Goal: In the long-run, becoming a licensed architect and being able to open my own practice, not restricted to locales. 

It would be great to get your expertise from the industry and see what's worth the time, money, and resources vs. what's not. Here below are my dilemma: 

• Aim on applying for Bachelors in Architecture or M.Arch programs, even though I already have a 4-year bachelors in business administration from an accredited college in US?
  • If M.Arch, route, do you have any recommended institutions in Europe or North America that doesn't require background in architectural studies in bachelors? 
  • Where can I start on my portfolio preparation? (e.g. premature photography work that I have, but not drawings or computer-generated arts that I can use) 
  • Is there any recommended online course that I can take for introduction to Architecture and building portfolio? 
  • As I'm behind on technical aspect of the job, is there recommended software that I can get a head start on and start getting myself familiar with? (e.g. Autocad, etc.)

Thank you so much for your feedback and appreciate any guidelines / help! 

Best,
Marcus

Apr 9, 17 11:35 am
marcus_91

Hi Rick, 

Thank you for the suggestions. Do you think it'll be necessary to start fresh by enrolling myself in Bachelors or if applicable, then with M.Arch programs? 

Also, if I were to pursue a degree outside of U.S (non-NAAB accredited)., will it ultimately limit my choice of where I can get a job after completion of my M.arch program? 

Best,
Marcus

Apr 9, 17 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
pooja1j

Taking the decision for career is really difficult, as our future depends on the decision.

I also got confused after completing my B. Tech, that what to do next?

I had two different options : preparation for government jobs or make career further in the science field.

I selected the Research career As it was always my field of interest. & prepared for csir net exam. At the first attempt, I didn't cleared the exam, as the csir net cutoffs were too high. But at the second attempt I qualified the the exam successfully.

Now I am happy with my choice.

So I always suggest students to choose the one option in which they are more interested.

Apr 24, 17 5:31 am  · 
 · 
Archlandia

Do a three year Master of Architecture, intended for students with degrees in other fields. Don't do a B.Arch, unless you have a problem with your schools degree accreditation, it will take five years. One or two year Master of Architecture does not apply to you, because you must have an undergraduate degree in Architecture. Again, do a three + year Master of Architecture.

https://www.pdx.edu/architecture/master-of-architecture-three-year-track

Above is an example of a three year program

Apr 25, 17 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Crosshatch

Marcus,

I'm also looking to apply to a MArch I program for Fall of 2018, as my bachelors is in an unrelated field.

MIT has free course-ware online for several architectural classes which you can look through at https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/architecture/

Several of the design programs have a fairly long trial period. I've been working through the free tutorials for Rhino 3D.

Good luck.

Jun 6, 17 10:16 am  · 
 · 
Mnzm

Hi Crosshatch - would you mind letting me know what you studied for undergrad? 

I also want to switch and I have a degree in social work - not sure if this change is too far-fetched.. and I have no idea how to put together a portfolio.

Sep 30, 17 12:40 am  · 
 · 
Crosshatch

My background is in Music Education. From what I can tell, there is a significant population of persons with non-arch backgrounds applying and getting in to graduate programs.

Generally the portfolio is an opportunity to show that you have some skill with design, which does not necessarily mean you need to include architectural materials. My recommendation is to take whichever pre-requisite courses (at a local community college) your colleges of interest might require while you work on putting a portfolio together. It would be very helpful to take an art class or two (if that is not required anyway) to develop pieces/work to include in your portfolio. 

I understand, the idea of a portfolio is intimidating coming from another background, but you can do it. Others like us have.

Oct 18, 17 9:55 am  · 
 · 
7thstreetclub

Really  nice details I also got confused after completing my B. Tech, that what to do next?

I had two different options : preparation for government jobs or make career further in the science field.

I selected the Research career As it was always my field of interest. & prepared for csir net exam. At the first attempt, I didn't cleared the exam, as the csir net result were too high. But at the second attempt I qualified the the exam successfully.

Now I am happy with my choice.

So I always suggest students to choose the one option in which they are more interested.

Oct 18, 17 3:04 am  · 
 · 
lernom

The M.A route is more cost-efficient. You get to hit 2 birds in one stone, you get to have a Masters degree and become an architect at the same time. However, I understand that finding architecture background is needed for you to commence. I hope you can find short architecture courses online that you can take first.

Jan 2, 19 6:01 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Thank you for that needlessly generic response mr. Robot

Jan 2, 19 7:10 am  · 
 · 
alkanegi

I think you should have done it before.

Jul 29, 19 12:09 pm  · 
 · 
AlinaF

If you want some advice, I would have to say you should do what is best for you in the future, taking all contributing factors into consideration and making a decision that will work well under any circumstances. 

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions. 

Jul 30, 19 1:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: