Archinect
anchor

Not sure if I can afford grad school

SUArch

Hi,

So I am finishing up my undergrad, and have gotten into the following first professional degree programs:

Pratt

City University of New York

NJIT

UMass Amherst

Rochester Institute of Technology

Renssellaer Polytechnic Institute

SUNY Buffalo

I am still waiting to hear back from Parsons, Penn, and MIT.  My problem is that while I like a number of these programs, I have not been offered much aid, and aside from the two SUNY schools my tuition would be $20,000-$50,000 a year.  I am considering working for a year and then applying again.  What are some factors that could help me ensure that schools would offer me better financial aid, ideally in the form of assistantships? What is the relative quality of these programs?

Mar 10, 17 12:38 pm
media-ns

I think it is silly to go into masters right out of an undergrad - work and realize what you like and what you hate and that will cause you to rethink where and what you want to do for your masters. Working in a firm - depending on the firm - will provide a different level of work for your portfolio, perhaps even try working abroad, this will make you a bit more desirable when you reapply and there would be potential for larger aid and scholarships - the worst thing people do is go right into grad school before having any understanding of the industry (there are some people who do benefit from going right into grad school, these are the ones who want to stay in the realm of academia and don't have a desire to join the profession) - but if you think you want to join the profession after grad school then you should test it out beforehand. Also you should enter grad school with a understanding and direction of where your interests lie - too many just sort of repeat their undergrad in grad school, then graduate and work jobs they could have gotten without even a grad degree - use the grad degree to bolster yourself to new opportunities, for that you probably need to dip your feet into the profession first.

Mar 10, 17 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
SUArch

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I think you brought up some very good points. Perhaps I neglected to mention that this program would be a first professional degree program, my undergraduate degree is in economics.  I would likely have to spend my gap year working in finance, as architecture firms don;t exactly line up to hie econ majors, paying off my student loans and improving my portfolio.  Do you think this could get me some better offers when I apply again? My only concern is that after all that time I will just receive the same kinds of offers and have essentially wasted my time.

Mar 10, 17 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
media-ns

Do a career discovery in architectureat a school this summer (GSD has one, I think most schools have them now), there are many opportunities, you would start to build a basis for your portfolio. Ultimately your portfolio will matter most and schools are not going to hold a negative light if you reject them and reapply (I have done so and was accepted back into every program I previously rejected). There are also a lot of visiting school programs you could partake in the year to really build an impressive portfolio for reapplying - but the reality is architecture is not a highly paid profession and graduating with a ton of debt will greatly limit your freedom after graduation.

Mar 10, 17 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
SUArch

Thank you, I was aware of a similar career discovery at City College after the fact, though I was under the impression that they were simply a way to make money for the school. Do you think it really made a large difference in the quality of your portfolio? Did you receive much better offers?

Mar 10, 17 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No arch degree is worth $50k per year.

Also, a year working in the real world is not a waste of time.

Mar 10, 17 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
SUArch

Thanks

Mar 10, 17 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
eeayeeayo

The majority of the schools on your list aren't ones that offer very impressive amounts of financial aid to anybody.

I would wait a year, get some experience, work on your portfolio, and try again - but next time target some higher tier options too.

When I was applying to grad schools I applied to a few on your list, but also some highly-ranked M.Arch programs at private universities with large endowments.  In the end the best deal by far was at one of the schools with the highest "sticker prices".  The school I ultimately attended offered me about 10 times the amount of aid than one of the schools on your list did. It doesn't work out the same for everybody, but it's worth targeting a broader range of schools and see what does happen for you.

Spending time and money on a "career discovery" type program isn't necessary, but does work well for some people, to get a feel for a studio environment and to throw together a portfolio quickly.  It might not fit in well though if you're working and trying to save money, so you might consider other ways to assemble a body of visual work - such as taking continuing ed or community classes in drawing, painting, and other visual arts, and/or keeping a sketchbook or doing other independent projects.

As for assistantships:  that works differently at each school, but in many they're not available until your 2nd year of an M.Arch. Particularly since you don't have an undergrad architecture background it may be unrealistic to count on TA spots in your first year.

Mar 11, 17 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
nn1993

Can you not defer your offers for a year, try and apply for as many scholarships and funding sources as possible and work and save for a year before going to those schools? They are not going anywhere, right?

And it's graduate schools. The sad things about architecture is you need it so a lot of people choose to go to grad schools straight after undergrad, which might limit your job prospects after graduation. Having a year or two experience is really valuable. It's hard looking for that first job. 

Mar 12, 17 12:15 am  · 
 · 
archeyarch

you need to commit 100%, or do not enter the field

Mar 12, 17 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
SUArch

Most programs do not let you defer unfortunately. What I heard is that you need to go to a school with a strong alumni network to find a good job, and SUNY Buffalo, the only school I can afford right now, is not a terribly well known school. I am positive I want to go to grad school for architecture, I'n just not sure if I should go now or in a year.

Mar 12, 17 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

If you cant afford it, do not do it. The architecture field is getting worse as we go along, and will never be a financially sustainable lifestyle. For example my first job back in 2002 paid $39,000 per year. Kids graduating now in 2017 probably get paid around $45,000 per year average in big cities.

6k in 15 years? In the meantime the cost of living in said cities has gone up exponentially. 

Mar 12, 17 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Get a job for a few years.  Save every penny.  Then figure this out.

At $50k per year, its a no brainer at this point.

Mar 13, 17 10:04 am  · 
 · 
SUArch

Thanks for the advice.  The only problem is that if I take time off from school I don't think I can rely on my parents to help me with my living expenses when I go back, I don't know how realistic it is to be able to afford to put yourself through grad school entirely, especially since it is a full time program so there is little time to work.

Mar 13, 17 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Then pick another school with lower tuition in a city with afordable living options. 200K for a M.Arch is not an investment

Mar 13, 17 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Yup.

Mar 14, 17 10:01 am  · 
 · 

If you have an economics degree, can you put it to good use and get a job in the financial sector for a year or two? Go make real bank. Save that money and pay cash for grad school. Come out debt free and then maybe you can afford to architect. 

Mar 14, 17 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
SUArch

Thanks, I believe I could, I guess I just planned on having financial support from my family, which would require me to go to school right after undergrad.

Mar 14, 17 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
SUArch

I guess my main concern is to what extent getting my degree from SUNY Buffalo would limit my options? Would it really be that hard to find a good job far from Buffalo after graduation?  To what extent do employers really care what school you went to if it's not an Ivy (I have been rejected by two Ivies so I know that't not an option for me).

Mar 14, 17 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

I'm guessing the state school would help keep you out of debt, and thus not limit your options later on.  as far as a 'good' school'  or a 'good job', Your education is what you make of it, as is your career.  It probably is far easier to go into finance and get a 'good job' if that is really what you are after.

Mar 15, 17 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: