Archinect
anchor

Cornell March2 vs. MIT SMarchS vs. Harvard Mdes vs. Columbia

brickoncrete

Hello all,

As the thread title says, I was admitted to those four schools.

Cornell MArch2 vs. MIT SMarchS vs. Harvard MDes (Urbanism Landscape and Ecology) vs. Columbia

Among the architecture programs, I am mostly attracted to Cornell, but I am also interested in Master in Design studies, as I have been wanting to really do my research on what I want and have been curious during my professional career. 

And also I have a feeling that getting another degree in architecture would be spending another 2 years of studying the similar things that I already did for 5 years.

But I have heard bad things about MDes program. What is the reality?

My heart says that I should do what I want to do, but I also want to hear how it is in the school.

Mar 4, 17 2:58 am
starrchitect

Do what your heart tells you to do. Problem solved.

Mar 4, 17 10:54 am  · 
 · 
zs_47

well, he at least needs to "know" a bit before his heart can accurately tell him anything.

Mar 4, 17 11:08 am  · 
 · 
zhonghuizhu

Congratulations! I've also applied for MIT Smarchs program and wondering which field of interest you've applied. Thanks a lot!

Mar 5, 17 8:53 am  · 
 · 

I was in a similar position like yours in 2015. I got into Columbia, Upenn and waitlisted in the GSD MDes Program. later I admitted into Upenn as it offered me some scholarship as well. I worked as a lecturer in an University for more than 3 years before applying these programs and turned out to be a good decision. It is purely a research based program and I will be enrolling into PhD from Fall 2017. As far I know, from your options, you can eliminate Columbia first unless it is the MSCC program.  I do not know much about Cornell MArchII program. To me, you can decide between MDes and SMarchS. Both are fantastic programs. At GSD you can explore yourself..either in design based research topics or in purely theoretical topics. If you want to do PhD after that then MDes is a good choice. also the director of ULE concentration in Pierre Belanger who is very good, also you can choose your supervisor from the rich group of faculties like Anita, Dilip da Cunha, Dareth Goherty...so on according to your topic. If you want to do serious research work or go into profession after the degree then SMarchS might be the better option. MIT offers research positions to SMarchS graduates if you are really good. Hope it helps.

Mar 5, 17 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
hpcc

Hi, I am currently waitlisted at GSD, MDes (History and Philosophy of Design). Did you finally end up getting into the program? What are the chances?

Mar 5, 17 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Labib, I think I will be going to Mdes, and your past experience helped me making the decision.

Mar 15, 17 2:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: