Archinect
anchor

Whats the best option for masters in USA?pros & cons?

I am an international student and have been accepted in the following universities

GSAPP for MSAAD (no scholarship)

Pratt and SCAD for Master in Interior Design ( got scholarship)

RISD (March) waitlisted. What are the chances?

DAAP(MARCH) with scholarship

Mar 3, 17 1:06 pm
natematt

I read your previous post, so you have a B.Arch from India, and would like to be involved in interiors? To my understanding you won't have accreditation status here. If this is accurate here are some thoughts...

The GSAPP gets you nothing, it's not accredited and it's not interiors, so you can't get licensed as an architect, and you don't get any real training on interiors.

Pratt is interiors, so if you want to just do interiors it's an option, but at that rate you could just start working and try to shift to interiors. I think there is less mobility in this degree because you won't be able to move back to architecture without getting another degree later. There is a reason why most interiors people do undergrads in interiors. No knock on the profession, it's just not necessary to have a masters degree.

I think the two more logical options are RSID and DAAP, because (assuming the programs you chose are accredited) you can get licensed as an architect if you want, and you can still work in interiors either way. I know plenty of people trained as architects who work in interiors... almost none the other way around.

Between these two I would go with DAAP. Apart from the fact that you are accepted and have a scholarship already, the school is well regarded as a graduate school, much more so than RSID (which is known for it's undergrad program). It's also massively cheaper. MASSIVELY. Seems like an obvious choice to me, but then again I am not doing any research on them.

Mar 4, 17 11:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: