Archinect
anchor

Revitalizing Accessibility

KelvinMagno

I'm designing an office with retail spaces at the first floor. The first floor has a big portion of a sloping floor. This has the normal gradient of 1:12 for PWDs. There is a wide landing every 3 meters of flight and this is where the entrance of the retail spaces are leveled. The end of the floor leads to an elevated park that gives a panoramic view of a river.

This sloping design will give PWDs the sense of belonging. It eliminates the feeling of having to take a separate entrance when entering a building or the feeling of being isolated.

There has not been any major projects integrating a sloping floor design. It makes me think this is not efficient and gives visual discomfort.

Nov 10, 16 10:16 am
Non Sequitur

Sloping floors are often not calculated in the same way as ramps.  Check your local code to see what the slope ratio is for a floor.  Chances are it will need to be much more shallow than the typical 1:12.

I assume this is for a school project.

Nov 10, 16 10:43 am  · 
 · 
gwenselim

Up

Nov 10, 16 10:43 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Here, USA, a ramp can be a maximum of 1:12 and it needs handrails. A ramp without handrails is maximum 1:20.

Your local rules might be different.
Nov 13, 16 8:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: