Archinect
anchor

Reading between the lines - MArch 1 portfolio prep

johnts

Hello, 

I'm John and I'm applying to March1 programs this application cycle. I apologize for starting a new thread on this topic, but a search through different posts didn't turn up what I was looking for. 

The websites from different programs offer some advice on portfolios. They say it should be personal and that it should show an aptitude for design as well as creativity. Not wanting the same exact type of portfolio from all applicants and perhaps in expectation of their diverse backgrounds, they seem to purposefully leave out more detailed recommendations. 

I can't help but think they have to say give these vague outlines for form's sake and that there are actually certain things that they are looking for but don't state explicitly. If anyone could offer any concrete advice on the portfolio for someone having only taken two courses in graphic design, or recommend me to a place where I can find more information or even a sample, I would be grateful. Specific questions I have in mind: would they want a sample of an architectural sketch? Should I mix mediums throughout the portfolio, i.e. a relief print, a free hand drawing, photography and so on? Without any architectural background, would they frown upon a portfolio that's architectural in theme? Would it be useful to talk to an admissions officer about this? 

Just some background: 

After graduating, I lived in Korea for several years as a student and an English teacher. My portfolio will present a proposal to solve some of the social problems in Korea that I feel are caused by poor urban planning as well as the buildings themselves. I studied Neurobiology at university and got a 163/160 on the GRE. 

Nov 10, 16 10:30 am
archietechie

Since no one has offered, on to your questions first - Conduct a google search for examples of M.Arch 1 portfolios (usually embedded on ISSUU platform) and in the forum for a general direction of how one should go about it; yes sketches (plural) of anything in general would be good but leave them at the rear; definitely mix mediums (model making; drawings; collages; anything really); yes they would as they want to gauge your creativity (same as any high school students prior to college); sure, always a good idea to talk to them as diff. schools look out for different requisites OR better yet attend introductory architectural summer courses for the experience

Also a little understanding with industry-standard programs might help ease the workload (autocad; 3d modelling tools etc.)

That said:

- Great that you've some ideas about urban planning, perhaps highlight these problems with images (drawings/sketches/plans) and proposals of what could be done better accompanied by a blurb or two. The project shouldn't encompass your whole folio tho (maybe up to 4 pgs max?)

- Korea is blossoming with creativity and vibrance, any chance you're involved with the cultural activities and ongoings as a linguist? It may provide a fresh perspective against a backdrop of the atypical 

- Your folio also shouldn't exceed 30 pages (and that's generous), with emphasis and care on white spaces if you have too much to show for. The folio is a design project unto itself for reviewers to gauge your aptitude for creativity

Nov 11, 16 2:01 am  · 
 · 
johnts

achitechie, thanks so much for the great feedback and for taking the time - it's super helpful ! 

Nov 13, 16 3:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: