Archinect
anchor

A fork in the road- to quit or continue architecture?

Who said I'd work for very little? I don't accept anything under a fair wage and getting paid for every hour I work.
Nov 9, 16 12:32 am  · 
 · 
theflash2207

Thanks for the replies.

Just recently finished my final undergrad studio, so will give things time to settle before making any decisions. I've received a conditional offer into the MArch but I'm likely going to take a year away from architecture and consider all my options. 

I'll throw in my two cents since I'm in a very similar situation, just with 10 years of Architecture practice under my belt. Yes, architecture is exactly how you describe it, maybe not at the firms designing walmarts, but everywhere else.  You better love architecture above all things if you want the professional to feel 'rewarding'.  It can be a poisonous culture brought on by handful of wackos who love to martyr themselves as if it's something to brag about. "Oh you had a great weekend this 4th of July? Haha, well I was in the office all weekend cranking out some renderings, but I watched some fireworks from the office...could just make them out."  - this and many, many more conversations just like it are from real people who sacrifice either their relationships or their health, a lot of times both.  (I work or have worked with very few 'in shape' individuals.

I feel this culture is established during schooling, as students are desensitised to the long often ludicrous work hours, leaving themselves vulnerable to exploitation when entering the professional industry.   

For whatever reason, architects seem to completely misunderstand the power dynamic between capital and labor.  We devalue the output of our labor for the "privilege" of designing for the capital class.  If you love the job so much, why even bother collecting a paycheck at all?  And how badly does the profession weed out under-financed and under-privileged individuals who cannot afford to pay to play?  The barrier for entry is excruciatingly high, and the compensation barely offsets those costs, which effectively bars those who could potentially best serve the profession from entering.

I've noticed these barriers during my degree, architecture school seems to be tailored towards those from wealthy backgrounds, as they can afford to spend more on materials, printing costs etc. Thus, creating a platform for more successful outcomes. Ultimately, under-privileged students who are unable to afford these resources are weeded out as they simply can't produce presentations to the standard of those with greater resources at their disposal. 

To answer the OP, my advice to you would be to consider going into real estate or development.  Because then you can still control the physical environment, and still dictate the design of cities through architects while paying them, APPARENTLY, very little.  And if this thread is any indication, they'll be happy for the opportunity because they're a bunch of suckers who will place some outdated and romanticized value on their own sacrifice for your financial benefit.

Interesting... Was actually looking into a M. of property development. 

The idea of sacrifice was actually a theme in one of my recent lecture,as our studio professor suggested that one must always suffer in order to produce good architecture. 

Nov 11, 16 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That prof is an idiot.

Nov 11, 16 8:17 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

disagree with David Curtis.

the profession is a lot more fun than school if you're running your own shop.

Nov 11, 16 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

The other advantage wealthy students have is that since school only teaches a fraction of what you need to know, massive supplementation is needed and it is the already advantaged kids who will get those  supplemental experiences and education. School is supposed to be a leveling ground, providing foundational skills so that all who engage in its processes get an advantage and a sufficient starting point. Architecture school doesn't work that way. If every graduate coming out of school is so under-capable as seems to be the case, is it really a failing of each individual student as people want to think or a failing of the system as a whole? If your "professional" starting salary is far less than that of a comparably educated engineer, for instance, is it your fault? Or the fault of the profession (which includes the education system)? 

Nov 11, 16 10:29 am  · 
 · 
theflash2207

Thought I'd return to this post. I ended up leaving architecture behind and have not looked back.

Definitely the right decision for me.

Whilst I'll be receiving my B. of Arch, I've started a 2nd degree in a completely unrelated field and the difference is astronomical.

Jun 3, 17 5:28 am  · 
 · 

Anything is one of a million paths. Therefore you must always keep in mind that a path is only a path; if you feel you should not follow it, you must not stay with it under any conditions. To have such clarity you must lead a disciplined life. Only then will you know that any path is only a path and there is no affront, to oneself or to others, in dropping it if that is what your heart tells you to do. But your decision to keep on the path or to leave it must be free of fear or ambition. I warn you. Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary.

This question is one that only a very old man asks. Does this path have a heart? All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. They are paths going through the bush, or into the bush. In my own life I could say I have traversed long long paths, but I am not anywhere. Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good; if it doesn't, it is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere; but one has a heart, the other doesn't. One makes for a joyful journey; as long as you follow it, you are one with it. The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong; the other weakens you.

Before you embark on any path ask the question: Does this path have a heart? If the answer is no, you will know it, and then you must choose another path. The trouble is nobody asks the question; and when a man finally realizes that he has taken a path without a heart, the path is ready to kill him. At that point very few men can stop to deliberate, and leave the path. A path without a heart is never enjoyable. You have to work hard even to take it. On the other hand, a path with heart is easy; it does not make you work at liking it.

Jun 3, 17 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Weigh in the possibilities first. Once you do that, imagine yourself 10-20 years from now for your chosen path. There will always be obstacles wherever you go, but going through those obstacles should be what fuels you to go further. Good luck!

Jun 3, 17 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: