Archinect
anchor

can someone recommend me an online landscape design course?

saraarafa

besides youtube channels, any free academic course 

Jul 28, 16 3:57 pm
tduds

I cannot, in good conscience, recommend an online course for design.

Jul 28, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

You're looking for a single course? Or an online learning certificate...

Jul 28, 16 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
saraarafa

yes any thing for an introduction to landscaping and it doesnt have to have a certificate

Jul 28, 16 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

Doesn't exist. There are tools and technical matters, but design? No.

Spend the money and go to school.  At the least find a summer discovery program. There's your intro.

Jul 28, 16 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Read a book.

Marc: School doesn't teach you how to design, its meant to nurture you and give you possibilities. Design IMO is innate and is encouraged. I suggest saraarafa reads design theories and tries to under his/her surrounding.

Jul 28, 16 7:10 pm  · 
 · 

Sure, op cold read a book or look at YouTube videos independently. Given that op seems to have tried the latter and is looking for courses...

No to mention Dirr is incredibly dense and at time obtuse, it's much better taught than just read.

Jul 28, 16 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Design IMO is innate and is encouraged.

That encouragement is best served in the form of constructive advice from well-qualified advisors. Success in design is 75% good feedback, 25% history. 

You'll never get past 25% online. Look at poor Richard.

Jul 28, 16 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Online courses are a waste or time...Try your local botanical gardens for classes...the larger ones usually have classes that you can take...If you are looking to get into the field professionally, an online class or even the courses at the botanical gardens will not be enough imo.  I would suggest looking into an LA or LD program at a university...

Jul 28, 16 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

This idea that you always have to have a formal course in anything is curious. Abraham Lincoln taught himself surveying before plotting out several communities in the Midwest. That was before he taught himself law and passed the law exam. Frederick Law Olmsted firmly believed landscape architecture should be self taught. Olmsted never went to college at all, His first landscape commission was New York City's Central Park. He is still the unequaled landscape architect of all time.

Jul 29, 16 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: