Contractor's license?

awaiting_deletion

worlds biggest dumbass

Richard Balkins!

yay.

keep it coming...i'm bored

May 14, 16 12:23 am  · 
 · 
"I can design a 10,000 sq.ft. house with a 15,000 sq.ft. library to hold the building plans and specifications that would cost $10 TRILLION dollars"

Tempting to ask you to do just that, but we already know you wouldn't. While it would be impressive to actually see you design that house, the bigger accomplishment would be to convince someone to pay "$10 TRILLION dollars [sic]" to actually build your design.

That is why people want to know the total cost of your designs ... to know if you can actually get clients to pay for it. Anyone can draw a building. Not everyone can get someone to pay to build it.
May 14, 16 12:28 am  · 
 · 
Aluminate

Rick your claims were that these architects and engineers are unable to bring in steady work, are teaching to supplement their incomes, and are hobbyists.  I mentioned construction dollars to establish that these are legitimate firms bringing in more than full time steady work, and couldn't be further from "hobbyists".

Your claims about them seem to fit you better - but substitute "teaching" with "living in parents' attic while occasionally mopping movie theaters."

May 14, 16 12:37 am  · 
 · 

Lets not tarnish Archinect podcast with that kind of low brow comedy. I wouldn't do one of these podcasts unless there is something decent to discuss. There are some things I do value and the podcasts does not deserve to be grounds for low brow humor and those kinds of discussion. 

While I may dick around with you guys and stir up a hornet nest on the forums here behind anonymous or even semi-anonymous names. This is a forum noted for this amateurish attitude before I ever came here. Okay. 

Do we really take the forum comedy too seriously? I hope not. Sometimes we get heated and worked up but at some point, you just have to laugh it off.

Right? 

However, the podcast is a little more real and you might even say 'profession' so I'm not entertaining that kind of low brow comedy. A podcast like any interview or public speaking is something you take more seriously in a more professional manner. 

People can forgive or disregard forum antics and crap. When there is real voice or in person, that's a bit more 'real'. We can dick around behind anonymity or in a fire chat but I take the podcast as something more professional and serious. 

That's more real and not the ever shifting pseudo-character one may present in a web forum. 

May 14, 16 12:51 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Rick if you have any building design related income to speak of then why are your student loans on perpetual financial hardship deferment?  Are you lying about your business and expertise? Or are you lying about your income? Or both?

I just filled out the IRS tip form suggesting that they look into the books of your design business, since if you have the clients and experience that you claim then you shouldn't be eligible for full deferment.

May 14, 16 12:53 am  · 
 · 

Rick your claims were that these architects and engineers are unable to bring in steady work, are teaching to supplement their incomes, and are hobbyists.  I mentioned construction dollars to establish that these are legitimate firms bringing in more than full time steady work, and couldn't be further from "hobbyists".

Fair enough. As for myself, I live in a small community and only about 2-3 years into starting my business, we had just been hit with the biggest recession since the Great Depression. I'm in ground zero of that recession because exemptions don't leave me much room to do projects other than that which the recession hit the most hardest on. Healthcare almost never involves projects that would be exempt. They just don't do small projects like that. 

Education facilities are almost always large projects and usually anything that doesn't require an architect, their glorified custodian designs and occassionally builds it. 

If I didn't follow the licensing laws, I probably would have a bit more business and work designing buildings. Think about it. I would chase more of those projects. 

May 14, 16 1:01 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Housing is very strong right now Rick.  Stop making excuses.  No one would ever let you design a hospital single handed from your moms basement.  Even if you were an FAIA, ex Navy seal, Registered civil engineer, brain surgeon, and licensed realtor. Never in a trillion years.  Stop your shit and get a job or start a business that is within your means/abilities. 

May 14, 16 1:10 am  · 
 · 

Rick if you have any building design related income to speak of then why are your student loans on perpetual financial hardship deferment?  Are you lying about your business and expertise? Or are you lying about your income? Or both?

I just filled out the IRS tip form suggesting that they look into the books of your design business, since if you have the clients and experience that you claim then you shouldn't be eligible for full deferment.

How can I be lying about the income if I don't tell you. Deferrment doesn't apply to work I made or had prior to my time at the University. I came back to Astoria from the University in 2014. Deferment established in early 2015. 2014 taxes would be based on income of 2013. There wasn't much income when you are a full-time student at the University. In 2014, there wasn't much work or paid work at all because there was about 6 months at the University and then getting back into Astoria for the second half. There wasn't much income, then. 2015, there was several prospects but not much in clients and they were small projects. They mostly covered basic licensing expenses and stuff like that. This is is 2016, there hasn't been too many projects but I am working through some prospects. However, securing them is often a hit or miss. Quite often, when I present a realistic pay rate for anyone in this business, it sometimes scares them because they are looking for a lot of work for nothing.  I'm not interested in laboring for hundreds of hours for just $500 or less. While a contractor may offer that, they are subsidizing that work in their construction. Don't kid yourself. They make it up somewhere.

If I am designing buildings and that's the business, I can't subsidize the cost. There's no second source of business income that I can absorb the costs. There is a lot of out going in terms of 'sweat equity' as it is. 

May 14, 16 1:37 am  · 
 · 

jla-x,

Housing is very strong right now Rick.  Stop making excuses. 

It is not so much so anywhere near my area. It might be in places like Texas but it isn't quite so hot because housing lending is targetted in specific areas. 

There is no control ANYONE has over where banks are lending money except those in control of the money lending itself. This area where I am does not do NEW CONSTRUCTION. This area's values restoration, renovation, rehabilitation of existing and historic buildings, first and foremost. New construction is almost always something you only do if you can not otherwise do with existing buildings, first. 

That is how things are done in this area. Astoria is largely about historic preservation. It is a 4 sq. miles museum of historic architecture. That's what people come to Astoria for. It has more historic buildings per capita than most cities in the entire country.

This is why you don't see housing tracts being developed. Even outside the city of Astoria, new construction isn't heavy. You need a trend of people coming to live in the Astoria area. I can't subsidize building design fees through other sources. I can't compete like that. In order to do so, I need to expand service offerings other than design. I would add construction only if I have construction contractors license so I have to pick up enough design work at one time and have enough actual client projects each quarter of the year to be able to invest that kind of money in contractor license and associated costs. 

May 14, 16 1:50 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

So leave that fuvking town then.  Why can't you move?  Too many gangs, rattlesnakes, Zika virus outbreaks?  What's the excuse?

May 14, 16 1:59 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

Or work elsewhere and commute an hour like I did for 5 years.  

May 14, 16 2:02 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

You need to get out of your loop of bullshit and make a life before you are too old.  Being sincere now.  You should probably get a psychiatric evaluation too.  You may have a curable mental impairment.  It happens.  You sound almost like you have schizophrenia .  Go get your shit together and stop wasting your time posting nonsensical gibberish on the Internet. 

May 14, 16 2:08 am  · 
 · 

jla-x,

I'm not into living a vagabond life. I like to live and work my career in one area not run around a damn country for life. You can never be serving a community by being a vagabond because you never stay there long enough to give a shit. 

For example to like terms, there are architects that goes from place to place globetrotting or whatever. They have no home. They are never truly integrated into any community.

I don't live in big cities because there, no body really cares to know you. It's impersonal. People just see other people as a number.

Or work elsewhere and commute an hour like I did for 5 years.

I like serving clients at a personal level. Those are the kinds of projects worth remembering. Those are the things that makes this profession worth it. 

An hour commute from Astoria, for example is around Longview/Kelso. Okay.

One reason I am not interested in starting business in a highly populated area is there is to many competitors to start business in. You get drowned out by all the established competition. You can't start from scratch a business in that kind of environment. 

In some ways, it is probably among the best time to get business work in architecture/building design in Astoria and become aware. While it maybe slow at first, there is a lack of competitors out here aside from the construction contractors. One benefit for me to carry on a construction contractor license is I can actually pursue more work as long as I pick up an architect (as back office support). If I picked up an architect under contract for services constituting practice of architecture. Exercising a provision of the exemptions and not worry about the exempt/non-exempt. Take care of that behind the scenes.

I'm sure there are architects that can be of assistance.

May 14, 16 3:10 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Well played 3sleeve.

So Rich, you've got the theater in a mess,
Yourself reported to the OBAE and the federal government.

Why?

Because you don't know when to shut your stupid shit eating pie hole.
May 14, 16 3:10 am  · 
 · 

no_form,

You know this would be hitting the contractor more than me. 

May 14, 16 3:34 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Yes Rick. That's the sad part. You opened up this gigantic can of worms and you keep taking responsibility for it. But since there is no legal evidence of your involvement someone else will pay for it. Maybe when the ship starts to sink you will finally get your credit due. Which reminds me, the reports from the fire Marshall and chief should be ready this Monday. Will call Lisa then for a copy.

In the mean time good luck with the IRS and the OBAE. Seriously think about the outback. And not the steak house.
May 14, 16 3:42 am  · 
 · 

No_form,

Shut the fuck up.

May 14, 16 4:48 am  · 
 · 
Well, that's professional.
May 14, 16 8:55 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Did anyone ever see that movie Valkyrie with Tom Cruise? Where he's in the German army and trying to assassinate Hitler with a bomb to end the war as an inside job?

Not a great a movie. But there's a scene towards the end where the jig's up, Hitler didn't die in the explosion, and the army is starting to realize that fact and figuring out who planted it. And his character is desperately trying to send out messages via radio to troops in the confusion that Hitler is really dead and the army needs succession now so they can surrender to end the war, before Hitler regains power.

That's basically Balkins here. The jig's up, everyone knows it, the army is closing in to arrest him, and yet he's still trying to stick to the story. Its like a really sad version of the Emporer's new clothes.

You are the absolute worst. The worst. I use to really enjoy this forum, and as a young graduate (from a real university) I learned a lot here. Now its just filth. If Paul is reading this (and Im guessing yes), for the love of god, please ban this moron.

May 14, 16 8:59 am  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Richard you're tripping on your lies again.  For instance here you say that you don't have another business to fall back on.  Yet in several other threads you say that you've been collecting royalties on software since the 1980s, and that you can't focus on the things you say you're going to do for your building design business (like designing stock house plans, or working on your resume) right now because you're so busy working on your other business.  

And you claim to have far more experience than a "hobbyist", but every time anybody asks for evidence of that we just get the story of how it's so hard to find any projects in Astoria.  You can't have it both ways:  either you have the significant experience you claim, and therefore you have underreported your income to the IRS - or you've been living below poverty level and therefore haven't had enough real projects to have the kind of experience to be giving advice.

And you can't have "sweat equity" in a project as a designer or contractor on someone else's project.  "Sweat equity" refers to work that adds to the total value of a project, that is contributed by the owner, or sometimes by an organization's membership.  When you put unpaid work into somebody else's project you're not developing sweat equity - that's called giving away free services - which is something you yourself have ranted against many times.  If you're doing that then you're a huge hypocrite.

Nobody here is telling you to move to a big city where you can't make personal connections, or to become a rootless vagabond.  The plan that's been outlined for you many times on this forum is:  get a job - any job - even if it's as a night stock boy at a big-box store or as a dishwasher.  Save up a few months worth of living expenses and security deposit.  At the same time that you're doing that, apply to firms in other smaller cities that you might be interested in living and working in - ones with better building design project prospects.  Sure at first you won't know anyone and you might have to supplement your design business with another job - but you'll have the potential to grow your business.  You don't have that potential in Astoria.  Astoria is a dead end.  There are good reasons that there aren't any architecture firms there!  Move.  Put down some roots.  Start your adult life.

Looking into your tax situation further I found that you have a freeloader brother (same history of having only menial jobs, none in the past several years, same 6 or 7 years floundering around in community college and dropping out with an unfinished associate degree, same living with parents and hanging out on the internet all day.)  Your mom has no work history, and your dad has held blue collar jobs off and on, none in recent years.  It appears you all lived for some years on the proceeds of real estate transactions decades ago.  In recent years that well has run nearly dry and you're all surviving on the refinancing of the house you're living in.  Your folks probably thought that by this point you or your brother or both would be supporting you all.  Unless that happens you've all got limited time before you land on the streets.  Do you have sympathetic relatives with a big attic who will take in the whole family?  If not then you need to start living like a responsible grownup now before it's too late.

May 14, 16 10:27 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Balkins, maybe you should retrofit your parents car because it sounds like that is going to be your home soon.
May 14, 16 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

Don't get too presumptuous.

May 14, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
Fivescore

Yes no_form - don't presume his parents have a car. 

May 14, 16 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Ahhh stuck in Astoria Again...had that song Lodi by ccr stuck in my head all day...Id like to do a parody..

May 14, 16 2:53 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Just about 10 years ago

I started a building design business

Seeking my fame and fortune

Like one eyed willies gold

Things got bad

And things got worse 

I think you know the tune

Oh lord, stuck in Astoria again....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jx3efB1QE24

May 14, 16 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
True, they probably refinanced it to pay for another month of wifi for their shiftless ignorant sons.

Balkins life is like some modern parable about laziness and delusional thinking.
May 14, 16 3:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: