Archinect
anchor

Low GPA ??! Is there a solution

Well I don't know if i am the only one who feels that the 5 years spent at the university were totally useless.

Especially if it's a shitty school like mine. I've graduated in 2012 and since then I've worked mostly in construction, the work was mostly drafting. That made me quit many times and search for a job more into architectural design but for no avail. I've decided to pursue MA degree in my struggle to be a real architect, however because my low GPA 2.9/4 (ranked 10th on my 90 students class)I got rejected from many schools in Canada and US.

I am trying to counterbalance the low GPA with a good portfolio but when i look into the portfolio' s of students from other schools i feel worthless.  I dont know what to do??!!

Apr 28, 16 1:44 pm
z1111

Keep redoing your portfolio until it is first rate.

Apr 28, 16 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

forget about the gpa.. If your portfolio ain't up to par, you ain't getting in.  period.  You can't expect schools to accept all low gpa and shitty portfolio applicants right?  If you really want to get accepted, put in more work to improve your portfolio.  Otherwise, stick to your current job.

Apr 28, 16 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Work on that portfolio but be aware that many schools have a GPA cut-off bottom so even if you've got the mother of all portfolios, it may very well never get looked at because they can dismiss your application due to shitty grades.

Try your hand at a design oriented college to boost your skills.

Apr 28, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

Is it worth retaking some of the classes at a local community college maybe? But like the other posters said I think the focus should be on the portfolio and personal statement. 

Apr 28, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

also try to boost your GRE scores if they do that in Canada.  i think a good portfolio is important, but it's really more about what's in it.  if it's not 100% polished that's okay with me.  i'd rather see interesting work even if it's not documented that great.  and btw interesting work isn't sexy renderings.  show me personal creative projects, drawings, and anything else that you've designed with some rigor and is unique.  if it's mostly professional work, that's okay too.  at least they understand how to make a building.  design skills can be improved in school.  

Apr 28, 16 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Fix the portfolio, get good recommendations (i.e. work hard, deliver above expectations, work outside of work hours to increase your skills and knowledge).

Apr 28, 16 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
sjimenez.sj

Don't discourage yourself Abdullah you have to keep on pursuing your passion. All good things in life are not easily obtained. It takes dedication, sacrifice and a substantial amount of toil.  I can attest that a stellar and well produced portfolio will get you into any program in the US.....even with a low GPA! I graduated undergrad with a 2.9 and scored average on my GRE and got accepted into Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan & Virginia Tech. These were the only programs I applied to, but feel confident that  any ivy league school would have accepted my application. The ivy league price tag is what deterred me away. I will leave you with this....since you have a low GPA it's imperative to develop a superb portfolio that will force the reviewer to accept you solely based on your creativity & innate talent. I personally dedicated 2 years to refine & hone my skills and abilities to produced a captivating design portfolio. Your personal statement/letter of intent needs to be interesting and compelling to the reader and must creatively correlate with your portfolio . Do extensive research on the particular programs you are applying to and find a peculiar connection that demonstrates to the committee you are a match made in heaven. Good luck!   

Apr 30, 16 12:22 am  · 
1  · 
nikita_nikita

My GPA is 2.7 and I didn't take GRE at all. Accepted to Berkeley and other universities I applied. Therefore, GPA is not a problem, work with your portfolio. Good luck!

Apr 30, 16 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

To sjimenex and nikita - Do you know what percentage grade is your gpa?  I see charts online and 2.9 could be 84% (high if you ask me) or around 72% (kinda low) depending.

May 1, 16 10:15 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

What school did you graduate from, when, and what was your major?

May 2, 16 7:08 am  · 
 · 
nikita_nikita

@accesskb I used WES to calculate it from my Russian grades. To be honest, my grades are low even in Russian equivalent. Maybe it was important that I have high grades for architecture-oriented disciplines, but very low for the others like painting or political science, and there are a lot of such disciplines in my uni's bachelor program.

May 2, 16 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy
Hey I had a similar situation not really. I have a 2.x gpa (worse than you) with a decent/highish final year gpa. I managed to get into a few march schools (no ivey) with my portfolio and intent alone despite my low gpa! So theres a chance, dont give up!!!
May 3, 16 6:31 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy
Mind you all these programs (most) had a cut off around 3 but they still accepted me so the cut off is not the end of the world!
May 3, 16 6:33 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

MinimalCrazy which schools did you get accepted to?  Did you do your undergrad in America?

May 3, 16 7:41 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy
Im gonna keep quiet about them in case I need them for next year as I declined the offer to work at this place. I took a job with a starchitecture office, decided I would learn more than being in school being taught outdated technology. Hopefully I get into a certain Ivey i admire next year, i didn't try this year. To OP, dont let the haters on this forum get to you! Most of the people here are nobodies, and their advice is as useful as my dog. Theyre good for information about local building code, or that typical "executive architect" stuff such as cdocs and bylaws purely because they have years of experience! Just keep improving your portfolio! Its never too late in life! When people look down upon you, show them they don't know shit. Its worked so far in my life very well, and hopefully it will to you.
May 4, 16 12:18 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

So you went to some shithole school, as you stated.  What school was this?

Anyways, you feel the five years were useless.  Which they aren't.  You can still work in architecture and get a license.

You got a low GPA 2.9/4.0 at a useless shithole school.  And whatever projects you worked on during school that are in your portfolio make you feel worthless.

You had five years to up your game and get supposedly easy A's and B's at the shithole school but instead shafted yourself with C's.  Your grades reflect the work you put into your school projects which is now shown in your portfolio. Now you want to know what to do?

I would suggest you reach out to some former professors or other intern architects or architects and ask them to help you develop your school ideas and rework that portfolio.

May 4, 16 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Thank you all so much for your comments and advices.

May 5, 16 3:39 am  · 
 · 
akshitsethi

Hey guys,

I completed my B.arch from india with a relatively low GPA of around 2.2. I'm mostly applying to schools in Canada and Australia for M.arch. I'm pretty confident about my academic portfolio and have had almost a year and half worth of work experience. 

What are the chances in my scenario for top schools like UBC, McGill, UofT, Waterloo? 

Oct 2, 20 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

UofT is the only one. There is no way a top school like Loo or McGill will consider you. Low Gpa is not indicative of a quality graduate student prospect.

· 
akshitsethi

Thankyou for the reply!

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

• ×Search in: