Archinect
anchor

Is the debt worth it?

Yes, the person has a PATH to licensure.

Apr 28, 16 2:04 am  · 
 · 

chasekinefreeman,

Take the job. Work for the architect for 8-10 years. Complete IDP. Get the license in California as one possible option or Washington state or a few others that doesn't require an NAAB accredited degree. Take the ARE.... pass it. Practice and eventually you can do reciprocity to other states and even become NCARB certified when they make an option that is f---ing reasonable.

Apr 28, 16 2:09 am  · 
 · 

Just an idea, chase.

Whether you agree to do it... it's up to you.

Apr 28, 16 2:19 am  · 
 · 

Actually, Geezer, ncarb allows you to earn IDP hours after high school. You just can't sit for the exams until you have a professional degree and IDP done. I graduated with a BA in Arch last year and have been working since then

Um... Chase, your facts are mistaken. It doesn't work that way. NCARB is not the licensing board. Each state has its own licensing board. Each state determines who is qualified to take the exams and what the qualifications are. Some states have multiple paths to licensure.

Apr 28, 16 2:49 am  · 
 · 

Right now, I can name at least ONE state in which you can begin testing without having IDP completed with a 4 year degree. California is one of those states. Chase, you would receive between 3-1/2 and 4 credit, IIRC. All you need is 1 to 1-1/2 years of working experience not completed IDP just work experience under an architect. Then you can begin taking the ARE. It is ideal that you complete most of IDP so that by the time you complete ARE, you are done. Just sayin'

Oh yeah, and you don't need an NAAB accredited degree to qualify. 

Apr 28, 16 3:01 am  · 
 · 
no_form

thanks for the tip Dean Balkins.  do you also talk about that in your pro-practice class at clatsop community college?  i was going to take it but instead enrolled in the marsupial behavior course.  way more interesting watching kangaroos fighting dingos in the outback.  

Apr 28, 16 3:02 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

two pages. 

Apr 28, 16 3:35 am  · 
 · 
Renzo's Piano
Yeah, I understand each state has its own licensing board, my comment was a mere simplification of IDP and professional degrees. And I know about California (currently working here) but I'd rather get my M.Arch as during my undergrad I didn't get the opportunity to explore what I wanted to.
Apr 28, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

Go for it if you don't want to limit yourself in the future.  The only way right now to allow for the broadest potential for reciprocal licensure in other states is with a NCARB certificate, which requires an NAAB accredited degree.  

Also, payments on a $100k student loan for graduate school are closer to $1400/month for 10 years.  

May 3, 16 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

Nice list Volunteer ... 

Tadao Ando - None

John Pawson - The Architectural Association of London. (for a few months)

FLW - did not complete high school

These are not serious architects?

I'm sure there are more on the list.

I was really contemplating lately that one can make it in architecture without a fancy grad school or even a grad degree.  Here I am with 30k in undergrad debt and struggling to get it cleared.  Do I really need another 100k for grad school.  Most of the stuff can be learnt on your own and reaching out to faculty members and people in the industry etc.  No one is stopping you on doing research, designing and practicing your craft like you would in school.  It would actually be quite the achievement by taking the non-traditional route and becoming a self taught architect.  Fact is you are either amazing at your craft or you aren't.  A degree from Harvard or another Ivy league means little if you produce mediocre work like too often the case. 

May 3, 16 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

96k is no joke.. I'm paying my wife's 100k student loan.  It takes 1200/month for next 10 years. Even though you'd make 70k out of grad school (or based on your experience level), it would be a heavy financial burden.  Unless you marry a rich spouse or doctor/lawyer/software engineer/business executives, it's very challenging for a dual income couple with combined income of 160k.. We get by, but having a hefty loan doesn't give us much chance to save up.

I agree with Accesskb in that it really comes down to one's skill sets rather than their degree.  My boss didn't even go to school in the US and has an undergraduate degree from a school in Southeast Asia.  He went through big name firms just fine and became a design principal of a great design firm. What I saw from him was a great, genuine talent and passion towards good design.  I've also seen opposite case where they genuinely sucked at what they do in spite of big name school they came from.  If you do decide to go to grad school, i urge you to figure out the way to maximize your degree before going in.

May 3, 16 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
nicholass817

I have worked with many people who regretted not just biting the bullet and pursuing the MArch.  Life makes it really hard to go back to school.  

May 3, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: